• 17 Replies

l.bailey

« on: May 31, 2011, 10:12 »
Hello every one, i am new to chicken keeping ,we have two Orpington Buffs, Two Jersey Giants and yesterday we collected Three young Lemon Sablepoots which we are very excited about.
Our knowledge is limited so you will be seeing lots of posts from me asking for help and advice.
I didn`t realise that keeping chickens would be so addictive, they are great fun and give hours of fun/enjoyment just watching them and getting to know their own little personalities.
My first question is :- The young Cockerel Sablepoot that we picked up yesterday has balls of dirt on his feet, what would the best way be to get these off, he is only very small , i don`t want to cause him too much stress.
Looking forward to yoyr replys and chatting.
Lbailey ( Lorraine )

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 21:07 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I'm going to pop your post over to the Hen House as I think more chickeny people hang out over there who will be able to answer your question than in the Welcome forum  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

retribution

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 21:35 »
you cant get away with just a post like that....... you have to attached photos.... ITS THE LAW.... as joyful or granny will  confirm.

Welcome to the mad about hens house

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 22:35 »
Hello every one, i am new to chicken keeping ,we have two Orpington Buffs, Two Jersey Giants and yesterday we collected Three young Lemon Sablepoots which we are very excited about.
Our knowledge is limited so you will be seeing lots of posts from me asking for help and advice.
I didn`t realise that keeping chickens would be so addictive, they are great fun and give hours of fun/enjoyment just watching them and getting to know their own little personalities.
My first question is :- The young Cockerel Sablepoot that we picked up yesterday has balls of dirt on his feet, what would the best way be to get these off, he is only very small , i don`t want to cause him too much stress.
Looking forward to yoyr replys and chatting.
Lbailey ( Lorraine )

Hello Lorraine and welcome along for the ride.

You're right about chicken-keeping being addictive.  There are so many pretty colours and so many lovely eggs - you ould start a collection that took over your life!  :lol:

To clean your cockerel's feet you can try standing him in a bowl of warm water to soften the dirt, then gently scrub it off.  Some chickens seem to enjoy a warm bath but others won't tolerate it!  So it's up to you whether you try it now or leave the wee lad to settle in for a while first. 

You might find that once he's been scratching around for a while he might have cleaner feet anyway - if he came from a muddy place perhaps his feet couldn't really dry off?  Give him lots of interesting things to scratch for and sprinkle some grains as an incentive and he might do some of the hard work for you.

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:51 »
And ensure the ground he's on now isn't muddy. I keep reding about bathing chickens, but have to admit, not tried it yet.
Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

l.bailey

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 10:54 »
Hi, Thank you for your welcoming posts and advice. I now have the young chicks out on the lawn so hopefully the little cockerel will clean hes feet that way but if not then i shall try the warm water.
I shall go and take some pics right now but im not sure if i will get them on here my computer skills are terrible so bare with me it may take some time.
Thanks again
l.bailey ( Lorraine )

l.bailey

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 11:42 »
Its no good i can`t get my photos on here , it says the pictures are to big trouble is i don`t know how to make them smaller. Any advice i would be very gratefull :unsure:

terri

• 1st egg
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 12:13 »
i downloaded pixresizer to resize mine its very simple to use which is good as i didnt have a clue only took a min  :wacko: :D
4 children, 1 hubby, 2 g,pigs, 1 gecko 3 hens, 2 fish,2 cats

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 12:15 »
my simple way

search for image shack on google

Upload a picture, it will resize and rescale

Then copy and paste the forum link into the reply and it puts it on no problem

Quick and no need to have an account
I hate signatures but love irony

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 18:02 »
I e-mailed them from my phone, it gives me the option to make smaller and I chose the smallest and then opened e-mail from computer, and uploaded from there.  :dry:

It was not quick.

l.bailey

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 10:18 »
Here are a couple of pics of my new lemon Sablepoots ( hope this works ) :unsure:

l.bailey

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2011, 10:20 »
A few more pics

l.bailey

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 10:22 »
Im just getting carried away now , i shall stop  :D

evie2

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 12:39 »
Hello bailey, Sablepoots are fabulous ours have a foot bath every week, whether they need it or not, mostly not, they love it :D  It's also a really good way of giving them a once over. 

I can understand you don't want to cause him stress however foot baths don't take long and are very relaxing :D

Lovely photos :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

l.bailey

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 13:23 »
Hello Evie2 , i shall try that , they can have their first foot bath this weekend.
I hope they like it .

xx
Newbie saying Hi

Started by Pep on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 17:07
by Pep
xx
Hello everyone - newbie here!

Started by kimberleyanddarren on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 19:47
by buttony22
xx

Started by fourmoon on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 13:27
by fourmoon
xx
Another newbie

Started by Kev Coleman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 26, 2020, 19:50
by grinling

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 33 queries.