the joys of skip diving

• 36 Replies

chrissie B

the joys of skip diving
« on: May 09, 2009, 15:07 »
just a quick one about the joy of finding something wonderful in the skip , well maybe not wonderful but this morning while i was out walking dog number 2 we passed the skip as we all ways do and there were a load of soilid wood garden chairs so i pulled out 2 and all they want is a lick of stain which i did as soon as i had breakfast , i wish i could have got more but the rest were covered in bags of heavy stuff and hubbys away with his navy palls but im glad i got the 2 , what a perfect day just need a couple of nice pads for them , will be looking for a small wooden table to go under the brolly on my grass .
happy diving to you all
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: the joys of skip diving
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 15:20 »
Really pleased for you  :D

Just one thing, to be a killjoy a little, in England and Wales, unless you actually get permission to remove the items from the skip, it is technically theft ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Briony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 15:46 »
 ;) But you have to be caught first LOL!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 16:32 »
In greece the skips are communal rubbish bins, not skips like uk ones.
I got loads of my garden stuff and sunbeds etc out of them while i lived out there.
Used to find fencing mesh, old floorboards ...you name it .......if you waited long enough....... :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2009, 17:06 »

Sorry Briony, you may find it funny but we can't condone illegal activity on this site

Dal

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 17:48 »
I got loads of my garden stuff and sunbeds etc out of them while i lived out there.
Used to find fencing mesh, old floorboards ...you name it .......if you waited long enough....... :lol:
Here in Auckland, it's rare to find skips outside someone's place. The practice used to be that any unwanted stuff that was in reasonable condition was placed on the grass verge for people to help themselves to. Unfortunately, the powers-that-be put a stop to that by introducing a by-law which made such a practice "illegal dumping" and attached a $400 fine to it.
However, every two years the Council holds an "inorganic rubbish removal". Over a two day period people put out inorganic stuff like fridges, pallets, etc, etc, for the Council to collect. Needless to say, the 'vultures' are out during this time. It's happening in my area next weekend. Guess who's getting his wings in order?  :lol:

chrissie B

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2009, 10:39 »
the skips here are as said before placed all over the place for people to dump their rubbish , they are not put out side houses just on the ends of roads but i will look into it as i would hate to think ive knicked stuff , they are there to stop people fly tipping which there is a lot of here and it ruing the countryside .
and ive stained them now and almost had a heart attack lugging them back home , the council will just have to be content with the other 4 chairs in there , these are mine.
chrissie b

Briony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2009, 10:55 »

Sorry Briony, you may find it funny but we can't condone illegal activity on this site

:closedeyes: ? Yes I do find it funny as I had never heard of it being illegal before! especially when a policeman helped me get some stuff out of a next door neighbours skip because I couldn't reach !!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2009, 13:54 »
Stupid as it seems, it is still illegal Briony.  You are supposed to knock on the person's door and ask politely if you can take stuff out of their skip, but usually people will say yes, because then they can get even more 'rubbish' in them!!

Briony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2009, 15:02 »
Oh well !

David.

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2009, 16:02 »
Stupid as it seems, it is still illegal Briony.  You are supposed to knock on the person's door and ask politely if you can take stuff out of their skip, but usually people will say yes, because then they can get even more 'rubbish' in them!!

If the skip is for rubbish from building works, you need permission from the building contractor, not the householder who has employed them, as everything they remove (+ their waste) is that contractor's property.

And don't think you've found a thrown away but usable wheelbarrow/scaffold board/shovel/broom  on top of a skip as they are sometimes just left there.

Building contrators are normally delighted when you offer to empty their skip for them (and might even tip you off about their next job which will yield a valuable haul for you), especially if you actually give them some veg/flowers/home made wine for taking away their rubbish and saving them money - but not taking stuff they are intending to keep.

Trillium

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009, 17:32 »
To add to this, it is also illegal in Ontario, Canada to help yourself to skips without permission. If caught, you'll be fined. And, at business locations which have skips, they have video surveillance cameras to enforce this. But asking permission can sometimes get you what you want without hassle.
Briony's policeman who helped her is obviously not up on his laws.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2009, 17:54 »

In Portugal you have to take your household rubbish up (or down) to the communal rubbish bins. Next to these everyone puts things that are Ok but they do not want ---  you can help  yourself: great recycling and is seems everyone wins. Anything hanging around for a few days is taken away when the bins are emptied by the local rubbish collection guys.  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

chrissie B

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2009, 20:56 »
starting to wish i hadent mentiond it as a wave of guilt is now upon me , no pearly gates for me , but me thinks that if the police in uk can collect evidence from bins without a warrent as the stuff in the bin is discarded ,heard that some place may be wrong .
dont think i will sleep much tonight but still keeping the chairs .
chrissie b :blush: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 21:53 »
Don't try to take them back now Chrissie --- you'd probably get caught  ???

xx
Skip Diving

Started by mumofstig on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 21:53
by Yorkie
xx
skip diving!

Started by fish on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 17:33
by Leaf
grin
Skip diving!

Started by Quants on Frugal Living

14 Replies
Last post April 12, 2016, 10:42
by Aled
xx
Advise on Skip Diving please.

Started by Riala on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 07:10
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 34 queries.