Strawberries

• 22 Replies

Trillium

Re: Strawberries
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 17:50 »
Is it too late to buy more strawberry plants and start a bed in a new area? They really don't need polytunnels or greenhouses. You could then treat the affected area with the poison mix, leave it fallow then in 2 years move the bed back.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 17:53 »
There seems to be a bit of a population explosion of these vine weevils this year...my brother's garden containers have been very badly hit, numbers in the hundreds in each one.

Silent but deadly little so and so-s  :(
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 18:11 »
Move the bed..
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 11:37 »
They really don't need polytunnels or greenhouses.
Oh I know that, but it's great getting a crop in May, 6 weeks before the ones in the outside bed are ready.

Will report back on the success or otherwise of the nematodes treatment. Ordered on-line enough to treat 100 sq metres as all the covered beds seem to be infested. When I bought the polytunnel over three years ago, it was erected on old pasture that to the best of my knowledge hadn't been cultivated within living memory so the soil was teeming with all sorts of creepies

Auntiemogs

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 12:57 »
There seems to be a bit of a population explosion of these vine weevils this year...my brother's garden containers have been very badly hit, numbers in the hundreds in each one.

Silent but deadly little so and so-s  :(
They're terrible critters, and difficult to get rid of once you have them.  :( I think I imported mine via a heuchera from a garden centre (they love heucheras).  I'm on year two now of namatoding twice a year (recommended) and fingers crossed I only saw one 'possible suspect' when topping up my strawberries (they also love strawberries)...
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 20:47 »
Are you absolutely sure you aren't being weeviled from below? It does really sound like it.
I must thank you Surbie. Your suggestion made me look harder at the roots until I found the culprits. I'll report back to this forum as to the effectiveness of nematode treatment

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 21:16 »
Are you absolutely sure you aren't being weeviled from below? It does really sound like it.
I must thank you Surbie. Your suggestion made me look harder at the roots until I found the culprits. I'll report back to this forum as to the effectiveness of nematode treatment

Aw shucks.  :blush:

Shame you're not closer. Yet again I have way more strawberries than I could need. Am guessing this is going to happen each year till I get ruthless with runners!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 21:16 by surbie100 »

Auntiemogs

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 21:40 »
Ditto Surbie.  I've had them and (having never had a polytunnel) it never entered my mind.   :nowink:

xx
better strawberries?

Started by green stan 77 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 17:44
by agapanthus
xx
strawberries

Started by chris on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 19:04
by JayG
xx
Strawberries

Started by scentedstock on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 16:18
by paintedlady
xx
Would you try strawberries?

Started by Living in Hope on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 21:24
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 36 queries.