Tomatoes

• 11 Replies

Pauly1958

Tomatoes
« on: February 25, 2020, 11:39 »
Hi All,
Starting my toms off today,once germinated in heated propergator would it be better to take them out and place in windowsill over radiator when potted on.
Thanks

Goosegirl

Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 12:40 »
If you're not careful they will grow very leggy so it's better to sow them in late March when there's more daylight because they will grow much stronger.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 14:32 »
we put our tom seeds  on the conservatory windowsill and they have been growing quite fast there about inch and a half now so I think they mite need pricking out very shortly

we sown several varieties that although most where old seed they have germinated very well but I take your point Goosegirl  about the plants getting leggy need to keep an eye on them

jambop

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 15:05 »

My first reaction is that it is far too early for tomatoes. I live in the south of France and I don't start mine until late March. To grow tomatoes you need light and warmth both are a scarcity in late Feb and  March.

Pauly1958

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 09:58 »
Hi thanks for replies I have made up a light box to help with extra light at evenings, I'll let all know how I get on

OakR

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 11:31 »
I planted some tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers in a heated propagator with grow lights last Sunday. 4 cucumbers are up already, and I think one Sungold is starting to push through.

I'm doing this as an experiment and will sow again in late March. It's also my first year having a greenhouse (unheated) at my new plot. Am debating trying to put a load of fresh manure in there under a shelf (which I don't have yet) to heat it that way, and cordon it off with some fleece or something.

Main thing for this year is finding out how quick and tall they grow under the lights and will probably then review next year - hopefully  we will get a very warm spring and I can put them early in the Greenhouse!

If it's all a bit fail I can live with it, I have spare seeds bar Sungold (only 5 arrived in the packet instead of 10..) - but I'm ever hopeful!

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 05:47 »
Oak, it might be worth just checking that the fresh manure doesn't have too much methane in it, as that will do your seedlings no good at all. I lost all our GH plants one year with too much 6X...:0(

The principle is right though, but like they used to do in days of yore, the manure is kept underground, and open at one end of the 'tunnel'. There's one in an old place just a few yards from here, and as it served a huge country house, with a massive greenhouse over, it was probably most effective then! I think the grape vine is still there after well over 100 years!

I only found out last year, that toms need much more light than heat, hence a later sowing is better really, like late March, but it's a great idea to get some going early if you have the space - a few toms fresh out of the GH in July is a real treat! My record is July 19th, my birthday...

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 13:02 »
I sow mine normally mid to end of Feb, I invested in a grow tent and a 300w LED so they will sit in that until day temps hit 11+c then they will move out to the greenhouse during the day and brought in at night.
Once germinated indoors I would forget putting over the radiator as room temps should be high enough, light is the important bit.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

MrsPea

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 11:03 »
Just started my tomatoes in the propagator Money Maker and Lizzano which are hanging basket variety.  :)
I Love my green house

Wellington

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 16:31 »
I don’t think it would do mine any good, hanging about inside. Neither of us eat them fresh, so I just want a big glut of sauce tomatoes to make chilli and so on with, so no benefit to growing them early. You never know, if I leave it late I might have a greenhouse to put them into (renovations delayed, again)

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 20:47 »
Ours went in today...

10 Sungold
20 San Marzano
20 Shirley.

Staples nowadays, much as we loved the heritage toms, but space is at a premium, so, 'bye...

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 21:07 »
I am trying Amish Paste from Premier Seeds instead of San Marzano, will give you an update Growster once grown.

xx
Dry set on Tomatoes

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 20:04
by azubah
xx
tomatoes

Started by davethespread on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 09:07
by Janeymiddlewife
xx
Tomatoes

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2008, 22:12
by Oliveview
xx
Bad tomatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 16:09
by Trillium

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 52 queries.