Soil for carrots in raised beds

• 5 Replies

OakR

Soil for carrots in raised beds
« on: February 19, 2020, 13:44 »
I have 3 narrow raised beds I inherited on my plot, but have not used last year. They are just over 3 metres long and about 40 cm wide.

I've now put them at the edge of the plot as a form of weed control to stop or slow the spread of things from the path.

I'd like to try my hand at carrots this year, and thought this might be good for this- They are empty at the moment, so if I wanted to fill 1 or 2 of them with carrot optimal soil, what should I do? Other then not making it lumpy, I'm not sure - I assume a mix with sand? Could I reuse this bed for carrots for numerous years or do carrots need rotation as well?

I'm not sure what do do with others, possibly Herbs. Pollinating plants and Lavender for bees.

Thanks

Al

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Soil for carrots in raised beds
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 19:26 »
I wouldn't necessarily add sand as it might prevent you from reusing the soil in a different location where other plants are grown next year.

What is your general soil type like?

You're right about not adding manure, and I would indeed rotate.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

OakR

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 23:35 »
I wouldn't necessarily add sand as it might prevent you from reusing the soil in a different location where other plants are grown next year.

What is your general soil type like?

You're right about not adding manure, and I would indeed rotate.

Top level of soil on the plot is generally good to work with but you then get down to clay, and someone has left a world collection of stones in the ground - I think I will never be rid of them, almost worse than couch grass!

I guess I just need to make sure I add in reasonably fine soil.

Plot94

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 10:30 »
My Father in law used to sieve the soil into purpose made carrot beds but I think that's a bit overkill. As long as you have good top soil to a reasonable depth and if possible reasonably free of stones and the like, carrots will usually get to a good size for the kitchen. As Yorkie said do not manure or otherwise enrich but a thin layer of MPC for sowing onto then covered with top soil gives me good results.

jambop

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 13:21 »

I asked the "guru" of no dig Charles Dowding about this because, although reasonable fertile, my soil is quite heavy although not very stony. His reply was not to dig the soil but just as normal with no dig lay about 5 or 6cm of compost over the top and sow into it . He said his experience with growing in this type of soil gave lovely long and straight carrots. So I am following his advice, although I have very roughly sieved the compost because there were some of big'ish bark chips that had not fully broken down... well it is only €2 per 50L bag so not the finest but good enough for this purpose.

OakR

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 11:05 »
Thanks everyone - I need to add some soil in but sounds like I can maybe move some in from the existing plot and once in have them no dig as such and rotate them each year with different crops.

Thanks!

xx
carrots in raised beds

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 20:04
by rem858
xx
Soil in raised beds

Started by gwltabb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 17:39
by gwltabb
xx
Top Soil for raised beds

Started by mad mark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 20:40
by Jay Dubya
xx
Top soil for raised veg beds

Started by Pavlodge on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 29, 2013, 17:37
by Jamrock

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 38 queries.