Brought a bread maker (pic of first loaf)

• 32 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2008, 08:31 »
Quote from: "jennyb"
how much do you think making your own bread costs per loaf?

I had a breadmaker, but the mixng paddle inside always got stuck to the loaf, so I had to cut it out each time and spoilet the loaf.  then decided I had to cut down a bit on leccy, so I gave it away and now just mix my bread dough in my Kenwood which only akes a few minutes and make my own.

I used to like the Wrights Ciabatta mix, but in less than a year it has gone up from 48p to 75p for 500g, so now I just get the Tesco strong bread flour and do my own.  Its 48p for 1.5kgs and a few pence for whatever else I put in it.  I put a little olive oil in instead of other fats as that helps keep the loaves moist longer.

Knight Family

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2008, 08:33 »
I just realy need to go fine one now! Must admit I love lakeland for the out of box deals! got a electric hot plate 2/3 off at Christmas last year, great for the caravan saves me gas.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

compostqueen

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 09:07 »
Folks seem to prefer the £99 Panasonic for a trouble-free  machine and I asked for that one but got a cheapo instead and the results from it using the recipe supplied were ok but better using premixes. I got some good premixes from Lakeland and the Wrights ones are good too.

My loaves get stuck on the paddle too  :roll:

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 17:40 »
out of curiosity to see how much flour recipes call for i googled it

http://www.carrsbreadmaker.info/recipes/index.html

thought the recipes might come in useful for others

even gives you different ratios for different makes! http://www.carrsbreadmaker.info/recipes/wholemeal_flour.html

FCG

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 19:57 »
Just a quick tip - to get free yeast just ask for it at large supermarkets with a bakery. Old tradition... or just a handy one :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 20:01 »
Quote from: "FCG"
Just a quick tip - to get free yeast just ask for it at large supermarkets with a bakery. Old tradition... or just a handy one :)

how much does it cost or are you saying they would give it to you free, surely not in this day and age. :shock:

FCG

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 21:01 »
Free, isn't it great?

Beetroot queen

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 21:04 »
Free, isn't it great?

FREE  :shock: I cant believe that LOL

is it the shop we dont mention

I am worried they will laugh at me  :oops:

FCG

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 21:12 »
Lets see how the filters react to the following list:

It works with:
Sainsburys
Asda
Morrisons

Dunno about the shop we don't dare to mention, or get sent to mordor by Sal.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 21:15 »
Lets see how the filters react to the following list:

It works with:
Sainsburys
Asda
Morrisons

Dunno about the shop we don't dare to mention, or get sent to mordor by Sal.

Let me get this right, I poodle up to the bakery and ask for some yeast LOL excuse the shock but i thought we were in the middle of a credit crunch  :shock:

FCG

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 21:22 »
Yup. They'll give it to you. The girl at asda just breaks off the end of a big block for me. Usually enough for one to two loves of bread. It's always handy to have a prop with you if you need... like a bag of their own brand flour :D

If they refuse just say 'oh such and such megastore always do, it's a tradition you see' if it's a young and inexperienced lad or lass.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 21:26 »
Yup. They'll give it to you. The girl at asda just breaks off the end of a big block for me. Usually enough for one to two loves of bread. It's always handy to have a prop with you if you need... like a bag of their own brand flour :D

If they refuse just say 'oh such and such megastore always do, it's a tradition you see' if it's a young and inexperienced lad or lass.

Going to get hubby to have a go LOL I am too chicken  :lol:

Knight Family

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 12:54 »
WOOT just won one on freecycle, dont know what make but worth a try since its free!!!

loubylou29

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2008, 20:45 »
OK I am a breadmaking queen, I love my breadmaker, I lust after a panasonic, and when my old Morphy Richars one  died (started chucking black oil into the bread) I was ready to buy one.
But I  rang them to ask how much a new pan would be (so I could pass the machine onto a friend)
and they offered me a new machine (new model) for half price. so I couldn't justify a pansaonic for £100, when I could get a perfectly good MR one brand new for £25. (and a new pan for £12 for my mate to have a whole machine)

I use the Bread machine about 4-5 times a week, I make all sorts in it. I think the key is finding worktop space to keep it out.
I use mine weekly for pizza dough, the kids love it, and adding their own toppings etc.
I make homeade bread evry few days.

I make bread rolls if we have friends for lunch or to go with soup, (makes less mess than slices of bread)

I also make currant buns and recently made brioche which was sooooo delishious!

I also make jam in the blackberry season (has Michaelmas gone yet?? can we still eat blackberries?)

Yes you can use fresh yeast, which is indeed free, my kids LOVE asking for it! but you cannot set it to timer, and it is a bit more faffy, as you have to activate the yeast before adding it.

My thing is to buy the extra strong flour, and using 1 cup of that to 2 cups normal bread flour, it makes a very light loaf.

3 cups flour, 1 and 1/8 cup warm water, 1 and 1/2 tspn yeast 1 tspn salt, 1 tabelspoon sugar, glug of oil.

set to dough or normal loaf and it will be fabulous!!

If makeing brown or wholemeal bread crush a vitamin C tablet or 2 in teaspoons and add to the water, it helps imrove the texture no end, and stops the bread being so heavy.

Novice but totally hooked

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2008, 12:32 »
I posted this recipe on the cooking forum but some of you may not have seen it.  It's my husband's recipe for Cranberry and Rosemary bread which is wonderful.  Very Christmasy but good at any time.

One cup of cranberries, halved or quartered (fresh better than dried, but if they have to be dried avoid sugary ones!)
1 cup of cranberry juice
2.5 tablespoons of olive oil (or other oil or butter)
1.25 teaspoons of salt
2.25 tablespoons of sugar
2.5 tablespoons of skimmed milk powder – optional
2 teaspoons of dried rosemary (or fresh, if you have it!)
3 cups of strong white bread flour
1.25 teaspoons of dried yeast

Makes a 1.5lb loaf - follow instructions on your breadmaker

xx
30% off the panasonic 254 Bread maker.

Started by Lardman on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 11:15
by Lardman
xx
paper pot maker

Started by dan808 on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 19:57
by boddy
xx
biodegradable seed pot maker

Started by Elcie on Frugal Living

6 Replies
Last post September 14, 2008, 12:28
by Elcie
xx
Cheap bread machines in Lidl

Started by ytyynycefn on Frugal Living

20 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 12:26
by Ice

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 33 queries.