Waterbutts

• 6 Replies

kezlou

Waterbutts
« on: October 13, 2008, 13:26 »
Hi everyone i have just acquired some big blue barrels and i was wondering how / if  i could try and convert it into a water butt.
It has a black plastic lid on it as well.

Thanks for looking ;)
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

compostqueen

Waterbutts
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 13:32 »
Same here. Started on mine yesterday by sawing off the lid with a hand saw, then you have to get a power drill and use a bit which attaches to the drill, it's the same principle as coring an apple (can't for the life of me think what you call it  :oops: ).  The hole was slightly too big (darn it!) so I either need to find a rubber washer or some PTFE tape so it doesn't leak.  I had to crawl inside the butt to screw the washer onto the tap, while an assistant held it in place  :D  Pity it was a gnat's too big but hey ho, the butt was free and I aint no hexpert with drills.  Plus I need some breeze blocks to raise it off the ground. I think I'll go for the lightweight variety being as it'll be me carting them  :roll:

Then I have to link it to the others with a bit of blue piping so I'll have to drill some more holes then when it's in situ.

kezlou

Waterbutts
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 13:54 »
Thank you sorry about that just answered you on the thread me and computers not good.

you sound like you did a really good job im going to a go later once ive got me saws and drill bits out.
Can you use house bricks to stand it on?

kezlou

Waterbutts
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 13:55 »

kezlou

Waterbutts
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 13:57 »
double post

compostqueen

Waterbutts
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 14:00 »
Yes you can use bricks, all the same size is best  :D   I did my one at home on bricks

I was gonna say I had no bricks on the plot but I think I can source some quite close by as a load have been dug up. I'll ask if he'd like to donate them for the cause. He has used my watering facilities so I bet he'll be ok with it. Saves carting blocks  :D

noshed

Waterbutts
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 23:25 »
You don't necessarily need a tap - it's quicker to dunk your can. Also, you can link butts together with a simple siphon, just use some hosepipe. Water finds its own level.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 34 queries.