Yet another daft question about broodies

• 12 Replies

raeburg

« on: September 21, 2008, 11:33 »
My silkie has gone broody (I'm turfing her out of the nest box a couple of times a day to make sure she eats and drinks) and I'm considering getting some eggs in for her to hatch.  

Now the daft question, is it better for her and the eggs to be on their own or is it OK to leave her in with my other silkie (not broody and a tad clumsy)?  

Thank you all in advance from a very novice chicken keeper :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 11:51 »
Will chicks be ok this late in the year? Won't they get really chilly in the winter, even with their mum?

Maybe you'll have to knit them tiny little jumpers (or modify egg cosies).

Bet Aunty Sally has something in stock!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Vember

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 13:07 »
Broodies should always be seperated from the others, if you don't you could get extra eggs in the nest and fighting resulting in broken eggs :(

If you have eggs now it's going to be the middle of October before they hatch and another 8-12 weeks after that before they'll stop sitting under Mum. They will also need to be kept in their own run during this time.

If you've got some where sheltered, with a run that isn't going to turn in to a mud bath then yes you could hatch eggs now.

I am going to hatch my Poland eggs BUT they will be in the house with me, with turf fetched in and put out on only very nice days when I'm there :) They will make one hell of a mess but I have a room just for them  :lol:

If you've never done the hatching thing then it is fab to do but I would consider waiting till next year lighter nights & Warmer (hopefully) days. It's warm now but will it be when they hatch ????

Sorry to waffle :)

Sarah

raeburg

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 14:19 »
Thanks for the advice.  I suspected that she'd have to be on her own and seeing as she's in her 4th home in 2 months and nicely settled I didn't want to stress her again.  I'll just keep turfing her off the nest till she gets the message.  I have some eggs already in the incubator and they will be raised indoors but there isn't room for 2 lots and a mother.

Thanks again

Rachel

rockchicks

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 15:02 »
Quote from: "raeburg"
Thanks for the advice.  I suspected that she'd have to be on her own and seeing as she's in her 4th home in 2 months and nicely settled I didn't want to stress her again.  I'll just keep turfing her off the nest till she gets the message.  I have some eggs already in the incubator and they will be raised indoors but there isn't room for 2 lots and a mother.

Thanks again

Rachel

could you not move the other hen?
small enough?

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 15:07 »
This is probably a terrible idea (and I know little about chickens) but could you put the eggs in the incubator under the broody. When are they due to hatch? Would she take to them, they don't seem to be very fussy from what I've heard? That way you'd have the advantage of a natural hatcher and broodser and only have to find the space for 1 brood (and mum) which you have to anyway.

Vember

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 15:17 »
Top class idea Kate, that way everyones a winner :D

Sarah :)

raeburg

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 22:28 »
They are due to hatch in 2 weeks time.  I don't know if she'd be big enough as the eggs are 5 large buff orpington ones and she's a minature silkie.  I could put her on the pot eggs and see if I can swap them for the real deal if it's not too late to move them.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 22:42 »
Would have thought there was time to move them but don't know about the size problem.

Don't know why the clever chicken people are being quiet? Vember, Aunty, Grannie, Rob, Aggy, Jelly, anyone?

agapanthus

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 23:11 »
A miniature silkie? Is it small than a normal silkie? I would go for it myself....if she's a normal size one. I'm sure she'd be able to cover 5 eggs!! :)

raeburg

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 11:28 »
No she's smaller than a normal one, I suppose she's equivalent of a bantam.  She's about 2/3 of the size of my other silkie and lays bantam size eggs.

agapanthus

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 11:47 »
No she's smaller than a normal one, I suppose she's equivalent of a bantam.  She's about 2/3 of the size of my other silkie and lays bantam size eggs.

How about getting something the same size as the eggs ie potatoes, popping them underneath her and check out if they are all getting covered? :)

raeburg

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 14:30 »
Quote from: "agapanthus"

How about getting something the same size as the eggs ie potatoes, popping them underneath her and check out if they are all getting covered? :)

Good idea, I've got 4 pot eggs, I'll see if she can cover those.

xx
yet another question on chicks and broodies.

Started by raeburg on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 12, 2008, 13:52
by raeburg
xx
Really Really Daft Question

Started by Prod on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 08:28
by Prod
xx
May be a daft question, but..

Started by Beano on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 18:01
by joyfull
xx
Daft question

Started by Mr Chookles on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 00:07
by Mr Chookles

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 38 queries.