Redcurrant jelly

• 4 Replies

lacewing

Redcurrant jelly
« on: June 30, 2012, 08:05 »
Why do some redcurrant jelly recipes say add water and others do not?. There is also a big difference as to the amount of water added, from recipe to recipe.
I'm confused :unsure:   :unsure:
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

mattwragg94

Re: Redcurrant jelly
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:43 »
erm im affraid i dont know the answer to your question - but have you had a look at vals recipe on this site? theres alot of comments on there at the bottom of the page, that may help you? - anyway heres the link:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipes/jellies/redcurrant-jelly

SG6

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:35 »
At a guess I would say that it is to prevent the currants possibly burning before they supply enough juice to boil in safety.

The water boils, breaks down the currants then gets evaporated off during the remainder of the boiling process. Prevents any chance of burning at the initial stage especially if a person has the idea to get the temperature up as fast as possible. Burnt red currant doesn't add to the taste of jelly.

Would mean that the starting mix may have to be boiled for a little longer but it will make the process a bit safer/easier.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 14:15 »
I always add just a little water (never bother to measure) to the bottom of the redcurrant pot to prevent that initial burning as the berries breakdown for cooking. It soon evaporates. So unless the recipe gives a large quantity of water to add, I wouldn't worry about it. If it sounds like a large quantity, then just cut it back by half.

lacewing

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 14:36 »
Thanks for the advice. I had looked at Val's recipe before my last post and 3 pints of water seemed an awful lot. I then looked for other recipes and they said very little water or no water at all,  there lies the confusion!

I think I will go with the advice on here and just add enough water to get the redcurrants cooking without the risk of burning. Thanks again!

question
Redcurrant Jelly

Started by Missey on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2019, 18:59
by Missey
xx
Redcurrant jelly issue

Started by RJR_38 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post August 06, 2015, 22:09
by RJR_38
xx
redcurrant jelly problem from a newbie

Started by thejammaker on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 01:35
by Trillium
xx
Make a Redcurrant-type jelly with Loganberries

Started by mumofstig on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post July 09, 2017, 09:21
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 39 queries.