outdoor tomatoes

• 12 Replies

rookie1

• Experienced Member
outdoor tomatoes
« on: May 28, 2012, 09:55 »
Hi veg growers
A friend gave me three Gardener's Delight tomato plants, which I've been nurturing indoors, but since the spring finally arrived a couple of weeks ago, have been outside during the day. They're looking a bit spindly, and I wonder if they ought to go outside in the veg plot now, or should I wait longer before planting out. Don't have a greenhouse so that's not an option.
thanks.

mattwragg94

Re: outdoor tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 10:02 »
There Shouldn't be any frosts now - so they will be fine to plant outside - if they are a bit spindly - you could plant the tomato plant deeper, which will give you a stronger plant  ;)

rookie1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 18:37 »
thanks for that - will definitely put them out, although the forecast is for cooler temps this week. Fingers crossed...

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 08:57 »
I lost a load of veg one year on the weekend of 4th and 5th June in North Derbyshire so I'm not planting out til after that. Once bitten and all that  :)

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 09:40 »
If they are a bit spindly make sure that you have a good strong cane to tie them to. Gardeners delight need any side shoots pinching out so that you train a single stem up the cane.

boogaloo

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 11:32 »
Oh really? Didn't realise that about GD and side shoots. Hope I haven't harmed mine by pinching out.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 11:47 »
Oh really? Didn't realise that about GD and side shoots. Hope I haven't harmed mine by pinching out.

Not sure you've read that correctly boogaloo - the side shoots on GD should be pinched out to make sure it grows as a cordon!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:49 »
Gardeners delight need any side shoots pinching out so that you train a single stem up the cane.

The advise was to pinch out - so you won't have harmed them at all by doing it  ;)

Snap jay  :D

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:16 »
Just make sure it is the side shoots you pinch out and not the growing tip. Well not until you have 5 or 6 trusses of fruit anyway.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 14:30 »
Just make sure it is the side shoots you pinch out and not the growing tip. Well not until you have 5 or 6 trusses of fruit anyway.

I got a bit carried away yesterday pinching out side shoots and before I could stop myself I had pinched out the growing tip as well  :(  It only has 2 trusses  ???  at least it was only 1 of my 10 tomato plants I did this too...  will be taking extra care with the remaining 8  :blush:

Hannah :)

savbo

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 15:21 »
if you pinch out the growing tip, just let one sideshoot grow and become the new leader. will hardly notice as difference

guess who's been there before?  :)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 15:26 »
if you pinch out the growing tip, just let one sideshoot grow and become the new leader. will hardly notice as difference

guess who's been there before?  :)

It's in it's final pot, so will see what happens, at least it has flowers so there should be something.

Doesn't look like I can count either... 10 - 1 = 8  :blink:

H :)

boogaloo

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 13:06 »
Gardeners delight need any side shoots pinching out so that you train a single stem up the cane.

The advise was to pinch out - so you won't have harmed them at all by doing it  ;)

Snap jay  :D

You're absolutely right! That's what happens when I read the forums at the same time as eating my lunch :)

xx
Outdoor tomatoes

Started by Elm street on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 15:04
by mumofstig
xx
outdoor tomatoes?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2011, 22:03
by hamstergbert
xx
Outdoor tomatoes

Started by Tugster on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 00:02
by Snap Dragon
xx
Outdoor tomatoes

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 19:25
by NaomiNome

Page created in 0.334 seconds with 41 queries.