Quail.

• 6 Replies

NormandyMary

Quail.
« on: November 06, 2011, 18:44 »
Does anyone on here breed quails and raise them for eggs? I was tidying the bedroom this lunchtime, and whilst upstairs, Iwatched a cookery programme that had James Martin on it, cooking with all types of eggs. He went to visit a quails egg producer, he is making a good living from it. I was just wondering if they are easy to keep. Im sure there arent any producers near to us..it got the old grey matter going 19 to the dozen!!

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Quail.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 19:09 »
I keep quail for both eggs and meat. They are pretty easy to keep and are incredibly hardy once mature. The main problem I have found is that they can be quite aggressive to each other and often after living together happily for ages!

They mature quickly and start laying or are ready for the table by about 8 weeks.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 19:34 »
I saw that programme.  I recently bought 4 young Italian quail but am still waiting to see what sex they are.  It looked like 1 hen and 3 cocks so I bought 3 more older ones which are definitely hens.  No eggs as yet with the short days but I am trying to encourage them with extra light.  The younger ones I am still unsure of but might be 2 hens and 2 cocks or maybe not.  Will just have to wait and see!  ::)

The part about duck eggs got me thinking and I am looking in to getting a couple next year.  Possibly Muscovy mainly due to them being quiet and good breeders.  Will have to wait until I have researched more and make sure I have enough room to keep them happy.  :)

Good luck with your new venture.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 15:19 »
UPDATE - NEWS FLASH found 4 quail eggs this morning.  Think they are from 2 of the quail from yesterday and today.  Didn't have a proper search yesterday as I thought they wouldn't lay with all the fireworks the night before.  They are quite difficult to spot in sawdust with them not laying in a nest box like hens.  Good camouflage for in the wild.  :D

NormandyMary

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 21:22 »
Im really going to look into this as Im sure that they could be a little earner. They raise quail for meat here, they are very common in the supermarkets, but I dont think Ive ever seen the eggs for sale. Ill do my research over the winter, then have a word with OH as he will have to make the house and run etc. He's doing our new bedroom at the moment, its been an ongoing project for about 5 years so I dont want to stop him whilst he is keen to finish it at last! ::)

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 22:32 »
Found another quail egg this evening when locking the hens up for the night and checking on the quail at dusk.  Looking forward to seeing how many will be laid by tomorrow.

You could get a few and keep them in a rabbit hutch to start with.  Ours are in a chicken ark which we have put a base in and put it under cover for the winter.  Hoping to have an aviary for the quail and a WOR for the hens to be built over the winter.  Not sure of the design yet as I am tempted to get a couple of Muscovy ducks so would have to incorporate them into the plans.   :lol:

Good luck with your research and your decorating of course.   :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 20:14 »
When I was selling more eggs last year the quail paid for the ducks food for quite a while! They are nor the most practical things in the world as you need 5 quail eggs for each hens eggs so not much use for baking (although I have!) but people buy them for the novelty and parties. I used to also sell a lot to people with small children as they love them as they are cute and dinky.

I think they also worked out well for meat. I worked out how much it cost me to produce them which was just over £1 per bird on organic chick crumb etc and was given £5 for a pair.

clip
Quail chicks

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

23 Replies
Last post August 02, 2013, 22:57
by ANHBUC
xx
infertile quail?

Started by poultrypeople on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post September 01, 2011, 17:18
by Mulberry1990
xx
Getting excited... quail due any day now

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2010, 18:40
by Caralou
xx
Quail Forums

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 17:16
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.