Bad Hatching

• 4 Replies

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
Bad Hatching
« on: August 26, 2011, 08:13 »
I dont understand it, I have hatched out 4 batches of eggs with no problems so far. I disinfected  the incubator and have left all the settings the same but this hatch has been a nightmare!

As they were guinea fowl eggs I did alot of reading up and set the humidity for 55% and raised to 65% for hatching, last day of turning day 25, candled the eggs and we were good to go. I have a manual turn forced air incubator, I turn 3 times a day and use paper towels for moisture.

Day 28 nothing! Day 29 they eventually started but out of 21 eggs only 5 pipped and were very slow and lethargic, not even cheeping. I left them alone for 12 hours but  had to help in the end.

There is still movement in some of the eggs so even though it is day 30 I have left the incubator running.

The chicks that have hatched I think may have splay legs, I know this can happen when the hatch is late.

Eggs came from a very reputable breeder, anyone any ideas on what I have done wrong,or is this just part and parcel of incubator hatching?  :(

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Re: Bad Hatching
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 13:29 »
I have had this problem before myself.  It could be that the temp/humidity was not quite right at some point in the incubation.  Or it could be those particular or that breed.  I got a bacterial infection on my last lot which had the eggs and chicks dropping like flies!

Seramas for example are a nightmare to hatch!  Just mark it down to experience and double check everything before you atrt again. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 13:48 »
I hatched guinea fowl using a broody last year and out of 8 only 3 hatched so could be guinea fowl in general  :unsure:.

Just  wondering how long did you let the eggs rest before popping them in the incubator - I was advised they need longer than chicken eggs.
Staffies are softer than you think.

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 14:27 »
Thank you for your replies.

I let the eggs stand for 24 hours, but did pick them up myself from a local supplier.

Think you are both right just have to mark it up to experience. Very upsetting though think I may have to euthanise the hatchlings they do not look right. At work today, will see how they look tonight.

I think there must have been a drop in heat or humidity at some point, when you are out and live in a rural area you never know do you  :blink:

I think I got a bit over confident because I had not had any big problems previously!

Thanks again

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 14:42 »
I was told even when picking the eggs up yourself with guineas they really need longer than this to rest.

xx
HATCHING!!!!!

Started by tesni on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 02:24
by catgoodyear
xx
Hatching

Started by Sluggs on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 19:32
by nnbreeder
xx
Hatching Help

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 20, 2009, 21:43
by Thompson24
xx
Hatching Day

Started by slowef on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 09:27
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 36 queries.