DIY automatic pophole opener

• 9 Replies

hillfooter

DIY automatic pophole opener
« on: December 15, 2009, 03:06 »
I've long toyed with the idea of installing automatic pophole controllers and I was wondering if Santa might slip one into my Christmas sock.  Unfortunately this looks unlikely as with four houses to cater for, the cost of the commercially available units is prohibitive.  However as I'm an electronics engineer by profession and worked in the control and computer industry for most of my working life I reckon if anyone can design and make one I ought to be able to.  I've looked at photos of the Gizmo type and I reckon its not that sophisticated that almost anyone with a basic understanding of electronics can't produce one.  Sourcing the parts looks to be the biggest issue.

I've a question however for anyone who has one and has looked at how they work in a bit more detail.  How is the door held open once it has reached it's fully open travel?  I assume that the motor drive is switched off by a reed switch operated magnetically, but is the motor braked or is there enough resistance through the gearbox to prevent the weight of the door falling and winding the unpowered motor in the reverse direction through the gearbox? If the resistance through the gearbox is enough to hold the door open it makes the design a whole lot easier than if a solenoid latch needs to be used to hold the door open.

I know there's been discussions on this topic previously and the ingenious use of a car aerial raise and lower drive has been used, rather than a DC motor and string arrangment, but I guess this requires a good deal of vertical travel space which might be available for a shed type of house but is not so convenient for an ark type of house.

Any suggestions or comments greatly appreciated.

HF
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 18:32 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: DIY automatic pophole opener
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 08:34 »
HF, are you going to the Federation show on Saturday? I am taking my auto pophole opener there for Foxy, so you could have a good look at it there - I never installed it so can't tell you about the workings and now with 6 houses and being up before the chickens decided to not bother.
Joyfullxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Foxy

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 10:01 »
If you are at the fed hillfooter, have a chat with my OH, we have always used auto pop openers and he may be able to answer some of your questions.. :happy:

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 17:46 »
Thanks for the offers Joy and Kate but i'm not going to the Fed I'm affraid though from what I've heard it's a superb showand I know a number of chatterers will be there.

Enjoy it and have a good Christmas with your families.

HF

ehs284

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 18:09 »
Hi, Wish I had your skills; as I don't then it had to be the aerial route for me as it solved the power on/off at-the-end-of-travel problem. I'm halfway through making one (had to leave for a while due to other pressures). i'm using a photocell switch kit from Maplin and a standard electric car aerial. To avoid the aerial space problem I've taken off the actual metal aerial and have the nylon toothed drive strap with  electrical choc-block connectors at the ends to give a stop position whilst being flexible. The drive to the strap is a screw, so there is no need for a lock on the strap. The operating cord runs over a pulley above the door. HTH

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 18:40 »
Hi, Wish I had your skills; as I don't then it had to be the aerial route for me as it solved the power on/off at-the-end-of-travel problem. I'm halfway through making one (had to leave for a while due to other pressures). i'm using a photocell switch kit from Maplin and a standard electric car aerial. To avoid the aerial space problem I've taken off the actual metal aerial and have the nylon toothed drive strap with  electrical choc-block connectors at the ends to give a stop position whilst being flexible. The drive to the strap is a screw, so there is no need for a lock on the strap. The operating cord runs over a pulley above the door. HTH

Sounds interesting.  When it's complete you should take some photos and give a summary of how it performs, particularly the power it takes and how long the battery lasts etc.

I guess you used a second hand aerial drive.

Regards
HF

Big Bird

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 19:15 »
hillfooter

Have you thought about a counter balance to help with the movement of the pop hole and also to make it easier to keep it in an open position, ie less stress on the motor, gears etc.

Not sure if pop openers normally have a counter balance as I don't have one and have only ever seen pics of them.

BB

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 21:31 »
Big Bird is spot on (and I forgot to mention). Most pictures I've seen and the commercial versions us very thin, light doors, plastic or aluminium. I've gone for a thick ply door suspended over a pulley and counterweighted. Much easier to get a straight drop without jamming and fox proof.  Aerial was new; it didn't seem sensible to buy S/H and have worn or corroded parts. It was £19 on e-bay and appears well made with solid working parts and a good, weatherprood casing. Total cost will be £30 all in.

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 23:18 »
Big Bird is spot on (and I forgot to mention). Most pictures I've seen and the commercial versions us very thin, light doors, plastic or aluminium. I've gone for a thick ply door suspended over a pulley and counterweighted. Much easier to get a straight drop without jamming and fox proof.  Aerial was new; it didn't seem sensible to buy S/H and have worn or corroded parts. It was £19 on e-bay and appears well made with solid working parts and a good, weatherprood casing. Total cost will be £30 all in.

I'll have to have another look at the aerial option as it seems this solves most of the tricky problems like limit stops and weatherproofing.

Yes I was thinking about the idea of a counter balance as it's useful to have a heavy door so it maintains a good closing pressure when shut thus detering foxes from lifting it.  I was toying with the idea of running the cord from the door up over a pulley turning the direction at right angles so the cord enters the house under the roof ridge passing under the ridge along the inside of the house and out the back wall over another pulley and down to a counter balance.  The lifting gear would then be mounted on the back wall, out of the way of the pophole, and act on the counterweight. 

Using a light weight door might be more vulnerable to being lifted.  To benefit from the extra closing force of a heavy door though the counterbalance has to be decoupled in some way when the door is shut.  So the draw cord would still need to support the counter weight in the closed position to remove it's balancing effect.  I can feel the engineer coming out so I'll stop now.

HF

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 23:50 »
The idea of the chooks coming out on their own is tempting, but with 12 popholes, whatever way is a bit prohibitive!

They'll ave to continue to wait for me to get up!!!!

But good luck everyone, it will be really interesting to see what you all come up with!!!

xx
How to make a simple automatic pophole opener/closer

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 15:56
by Fisherman
xx
auto pophole door opener

Started by rosegarden on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 22, 2013, 11:23
by joyfull
xx
Automatic opener

Started by Mega on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 17:47
by Mega
xx
Automatic opener?

Started by littlewitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 03, 2010, 18:23
by Foxy

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 29 queries.