Spreading DE/Stalosan/Hydrated Lime or other 'powders'

• 3 Replies

Prod

Hi I have posted this here as it does relate to the welfare of chucks. I am sure if it is not the right place our vigilant moderators will correct me :D

It is linked to a post by someone else but I thought I would share an idea, if you already know I apologise, and if you don't well maybe you can use it.

Most powders are expensive and difficult to spread equally so the first tip is to get yourself a turkey baster (I got mine form TK Maxx for £1) Fill the rubber ball with powder and you can 'puff' it right into every nook and cranny, you use less but it is a more effective way of distribution.

The second tip is when you want to spread powder over a wider area. I posted before that I had an outbreak of Histomonas which infected and/or killed half my flock. I am presently sectioning off the field so that I can disinfect & treat it. I use Hydrated Lime but I found the best way is to use a large plastic (not metal) sieve. It is like dusting a cake with icing sugar, as much or as little as you want but it spreads it evenly and shaking it breaks up the lumps.

I have other tips for stopping a pan from boiling over, how to restore the dents in your carpet when you move a piece of furniture and how to make a cheap effective finger stall, this is a new one as I sliced my index finger with a chisel from knuckle to finger nail on Saturday evening and it is a 20 mile round trip to town even if somewhere had been open. :D
 If you want to know---- message me :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Spreading DE/Stalosan/Hydrated Lime or other 'powders'
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 17:18 »
thanks for the tips Prod (I did once read that an ice cube placed on the carpet indent will restore the carpet  :) )
Staffies are softer than you think.

RubyR3d

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 14:02 »
Another decent tip is to put powder in a stocking or one leg of a pair of tights knot it and dab it around as a powder puff. Gets in nooks and crannies with a very fine dusting.

Prod

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 14:34 »
thanks for the tips Prod (I did once read that an ice cube placed on the carpet indent will restore the carpet  :) )

That's the one!!  and it really does work.I might as well tell all..... the way to stop a pan boiling over, when there is no lid, is to place a wooden spoon across the top and, yes, it does work :D

xx
Stalosan F

Started by tracy66 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 27, 2011, 08:06
by HelenMckenzie
xx
Stalosan.. How much to use?

Started by mohs.ayaz on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 10:23
by jhub
xx
Stalosan

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 11:48
by kattcottrell
question
Stalosan F

Started by Della on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 15, 2009, 20:24
by Foxy

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 39 queries.