battery hens

• 19 Replies

cals chicks

Re: battery hens
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 22:58 »
hi we got 5 ex batt chickens yesturday they dont seam to be in to bad  condition. me and the wife went into the batt farm to get the chickens with the farmer, and it was so sad to see the conditons that they live in, iam so happy to give them better living condtion. a couple have very long claws. can anyone help as how to trim them and with what.

Casey76

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2010, 08:26 »
Well done on your rescue :)

You can use a pair of dog-claw clippers - have some wound powder handy, claws can bleed freely if they are cut back too much as once.

sarah.pinta

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 22:31 »
Well done, i picked up three ex-bat hens on Sunday a week ago. I had three eggs on the Monday morning, two on the Tuesday but none since, most peeps think it might be due to stress and i have a really nasty chicken out of the three that picks on the other two really badly. Did you have any problems with yours? Any suggestions on how to stop the bullying?

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2010, 09:11 »
Yeay, well done you :) The fighting will calm down after a while, though it's horrible to watch. Put various food stations about, because the main fighting is about food, so put a couple of feeders about and the bully hen can have her pick of the food, leaving the others to eat out of her way.
HOw much run space have they got? If it doesnt calm down or they are getting particularly battered, you may need to give them more space so they can escape the pecks.
Congrats on your girls, had mine 3 weeks now and I adore them (Ive got a bully too, so Im now in the process of making a huge run). Keep us updated and get some pics up :)
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2010, 10:42 »
They have to sort out the new pecking order, mine took about a week, and then it all calmed down.

If you do have a particular bully, try picking her up and walking round with her for a short while.  I read about it somewhere, and tried it with Tilly, and it seemed to calm her down a bit.

If you have a particular 'victim', could try spraying with Featherite which tastes nasty and will deter.  And watch out for any wounding, need pruple spray for that.

But don't worry, they'll sort themselves out and everyone will end up properly ranked. 

I got 8 ex batts just over a year ago.  Still have 7 who are enjoying a healthy and happy retirement. 

xx
battery hens

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 02:29
by too many girls
xx
Battery hens help

Started by Asaunders on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post August 28, 2009, 16:33
by jackieb
xx
Battery hens

Started by matilda duck on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 06, 2009, 12:27
by Roll Roll
xx
ex battery hens

Started by primrose1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 17:20
by JACDORE

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 39 queries.