Lesson learned. The hard way!!

• 7 Replies

wildy78

Lesson learned. The hard way!!
« on: February 01, 2011, 19:15 »
Well i am mortified, lost my first chicken Sunday, the family dog, a springer terrier usually timid, loving and very careful around my first 5 chickens decided that he would play a game of chase with my new speckled sussex.  It appears he has run at her and 'run her over' killing her instantly no bite marks or blood, just playfulness on his part :( all it took was 20 seconds of distraction on my part.

Just a word of warning for all dog / chicken owners, even the softest and quiet dog in the world can still have its moments.

RIP twinkle
1 wife, 1 daughter, 2 dogs, 1 horse, 1 Copper black maran, 1 Cherry Maran, 1 Speckled, 1 Sussex, 1 welsummer, 1 dorking, 1 silver laced wyandotte
6 new arrivals - 3 welsummers 3 barnvelder.
5 more new arrivals (pullets) - white star, fenton blue, fenton rose, plymouth rock, silver sussex

daisy1990

Re: Lesson learned. The hard way!!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 19:19 »
how awful for you.  I once had a dog which killed a pet rabbit in very similar circumstances (frightened to death rather than attacked)  Since then I have never allowed any of my dogs near my hens or rabbits as I do believe it is in their nature.  Dont blame yourself you weren't to know this would happen especially in a previously trustworthy dog
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

wildy78

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 19:23 »
thanks daisy, cant help feeling if only i had called him to me like i usually do it wouldnt have happened.  Still cant turn back the clock, he will be on a lead tethered from now on, shame really he loves pottering with the girls.

alancane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 19:29 »
This isn't the first post and I am sure it won't be the last post where people fall into a false sense of security with their dogs..... 'Oh, not mine, he would never do that'
Just hope people do read this post and realise it - then more hens would live because of the owners taking proper precautions and acting appropriately.
Alan

wildy78

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 19:47 »
I hope they do read it Alan, exactly the reason i posted, although i must just add that precautions were usually taken, ie never leave him alone near the chickens.  Just one momentary lapse and its over.  I think all us dog owners tend to forget a dogs natural instinct is to chase whether for fun or other.

I will consider my wrist well and truly slapped   :(

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 21:31 »
wildy78, you don't need your wrist slapped.  Thank you for posting your experience here to help others.

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 02:16 »
We have a footpath which runs alonng the opposite side of a hedge which borders our field boundary and we ocassionaly get dog walkers along it.  Being in the countryside half a mile from the nearest village it's usually fairly quite though but the other day I was out with my chickkens and I heard a dog barking.  Going to investigate I saw a dog outside one of my electric fenced runs barking at my chickens  (who actually weren't paying much attention to it). 

Standing watching this dog just 20 yards away looking over the field gate was it's owner, a woman, who was just standing there not attempting to call the dog or doing anything to restrain it.  I started to walk towards it and seeing me it turned tail and ran off to it's owner who I thought would put it on a lead and at least wait till I got there to apologise.  Not a bit of it she just turned on her heel before I could get there and walked away along the path without so much as a glance back.

I could hardly believe the careless attitude.  If I see her again I'll certainly put her straight on a few things.
HF
Truth through science.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 09:15 »
I am so sorry for your loss.  Our back garden runs right up against a common that the locals use for walking their dogs.  You really have brought home the need for us to put up some very good fencing.  So sad. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
a salutary lesson

Started by campanula on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 18:34
by joyfull
angry
Lesson Learnt

Started by splash101 on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 31, 2013, 23:23
by ANHBUC
clip
Todays lesson for the girls

Started by bajmoe on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post March 16, 2014, 16:52
by nerdle
xx
cant peel my hard boiled eggs

Started by needssomehelp on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 20:54
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 38 queries.