Waste food composter

• 21 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Waste food composter
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 12:53 »
As I've said before, what we don't eat the dog eats, what the dog don't eat veggie wise the chooks eat.  The last time I made my rice wine, once I'd taken the must off, I rinsed, then cooked the rice and the chooks loved it.  I gave it to them over a couple of days.  They had the sultanas too!

Lynne

Waste food composter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 15:59 »
I've always put left over cooked veg in my wormery and it's fine.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

Rob the rake

Waste food composter
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007, 08:41 »
Take out a 6" deep trench where next years beans or peas are going and half-fill the bottom with kitchen waste. Cover with soil as you work along the trench(so as not to attract vermin).
When you're finished, you have a planting zone for leguminous crops which is moisture retentive and nutrient rich. Digging in uncomposted waste like this upsets the nitrogen balance for a while, but this does not affect peas and beans, as they make their own nitrogen.

When you're ready to sow, the rotting of the waste will have created a shallow depression along the length of the trench. This depression makes it easier to get that all-important water to the roots in dry spells.

Rob. :D
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

WG.

Waste food composter
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007, 10:45 »
An excellent point well made, Rob.  I mentioned direct burial above and indeed I used to do exactly what you describe (before I started worm composting) and it works great.

No need to take out the whole trench at the same time either, simply mark out where it is going and it pretty much creates itself as you backfill over the part you are burying.

Sally A

Waste food composter
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2007, 10:48 »
Not so great in reality, one of my dogs goes and digs up the rotting stuff from the neighbours trench, resulting in BAD wind, gyppy tum, and getting me up in the night.

Rob the rake

Waste food composter
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007, 12:02 »
Lovely creatures,dogs. My Westies are partial to carrots and nick them from the trug the minute my back's turned. I find the remains under the spud foliage at lifting time,which is where they take them for a scoff.
Tillie likes them much better than Toby,apparently,and if she catches him eating one she'll take it off him and growl until he goes away. Poor blighter's more hen-pecked than I am.
She likes kelp even better, fresh or dried,doesn't matter. The little swine digs it out faster than I can dig it in!
You've got to love 'em though :D

Rob.

WG.

Waste food composter
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 12:06 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
Not so great in reality, one of my dogs goes and digs up the rotting stuff from the neighbours trench, resulting in BAD wind, gyppy tum, and getting me up in the night.
No dogs around here so don't have that problem.  Easily sorted with a bit of net though.

xx
what goes in composter

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 11:27
by Lindeggs
xx
Composter

Started by Tykelad on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 22:38
by solway cropper
xx
Tonne Bag composter

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 15, 2007, 00:29
by mkhenry
xx
Leachate from hot composter

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 05, 2021, 20:06
by Eblana

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 38 queries.