Can I move my rhubarb at this time of year?

• 20 Replies

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
Can I move my rhubarb at this time of year?
« on: April 25, 2012, 17:49 »
I found a nice big rhubarb plant at the end of our allotment, currently strangled by weeds. Trouble is that I plan to put my new polytunnel in that place. Is it ok to dig the rhubarb up and transplant it in spring or is it going to kill it?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Can I move my rhubarb at this time of year?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 17:50 »
It won't like it.  Best time of year is to do it when it's dormant, over winter.

However, if it's going to get killed by having the greenhouse put on top of it anyway, you've nothing to lose.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 19:00 »
hmm, thought so. Oh well, needs must. It's not really my rhubarb anyway as it came with the plot so I'm not too emotionally attached to it.  :wub:

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 19:05 »
when you transplant take a very large root ball ( will be very heavy so watch your back) so as to minimise disturbance but if you split any off (easy with sharp spade) plant that in a large pot as a safety reserve. Or if worse comes to worse can  buy new plant in autumn quite cheap but if the existing one is one you really  like give it a go.
R

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 21:14 »
Agree with the other posters, it's not the best time of year but by taking a big rootball with it you'll minimise the disturbance.

I would also snap off existing top growth, so that it can re-emerge quietly in it's own time.  As a strong perennial it should rally at this early stage in the season, and even if it doesn't, next year should see renewed vigour.

All of which is only my opinion.  What's certain is that while you may have no emotional attachment to it now, in time you may come to love it unreservedly.  Is it worth the risk of losing something so beautiful, that money can't buy?!  :)
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 21:15 »
If it's in your way then definitely move it. Its really really hard to kill rhubarb. Just be aware that remaining bits of roots could possibly sprout in the near future - it's that tough.  ;)

bazh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 21:44 »
Get it dug up split it and plant it where you want it, it's not the advised time of year to do it but I bet you can't kill it!

I split a 15 year old crown last Autumn it filled a wheel barrow! took 7 root cuttings, planted them all but accidentally covered number 7 in weed membrane and wood chippings 5 months later it was pushing up the wood chippings the stuff is hard as nails!
Faff free zone!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 22:23 »
Dig it up with a huge rootball as has been suggested - and plonk it straight in the middle of your new "lake" that has appeared - no danger of it drying out there while it is re-establishing itself!   :D

Oh, and if it has any large leaves already established, I would remove those with a sharp tug to stop it getting too stressed (and bung them in the pot with some sugar!)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 22:24 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 01:31 »
I was given a rootball only two weeks ago it had been at the bottom of a pile of grass and weeds in my neighbours plot it was going slightly soft but a dug a hole filled it with compost and it is now shooting away faster that one planted at the back end of last year. So I would give it a go and move it to a new home.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 07:01 »
Dig it up with a huge rootball as has been suggested - and plonk it straight in the middle of your new "lake" that has appeared - no danger of it drying out there while it is re-establishing itself!   :D

Oh, and if it has any large leaves already established, I would remove those with a sharp tug to stop it getting too stressed (and bung them in the pot with some sugar!)

I thought rhubarb leaves were poisonous?
Political Correctness-a concept based on the idea that its possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 07:29 »
I'm sure she's obviously referring to the stalks!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

steved

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 08:15 »

Obviously?

I dont like rhubarb and give it away after cutting off the leaves for composting and have no idea how its used/cooked.

Thought there was an alternative use for the leaves.

Sorry i asked!

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 08:57 »
"There is widespread feeling that this is one of the friendliest forum around and the Moderating Team feels very strongly about keeping it that way.  Try smiling when you type your reply ... no matter that you may disagree with an earlier post - doing so with a smile always helps.  Deliberately disrupting topics, unfriendliness or bad manners to others has no place here.  If you disagree with a subject challenge the idea, do not attack the poster !"
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 09:55 »
"There is widespread feeling that this is one of the friendliest forum around and the Moderating Team feels very strongly about keeping it that way.  Try smiling when you type your reply ... no matter that you may disagree with an earlier post - doing so with a smile always helps.  Deliberately disrupting topics, unfriendliness or bad manners to others has no place here.  If you disagree with a subject challenge the idea, do not attack the poster !"
Well said people forget that like me some have just started and use the forum to gain knowledge
Most of the posts are are just banter but the odd one does go to the edge.
John

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 10:01 »
The stalks are what you eat. The leaves can be used too but for other purposes. I added mine to a waterbutt and left to rot away for a few months. Apparently you can then use this water as a kind of fertiliser and on your carrots as rumour has it it repels carrot fly..... seemed to work for me! Oh, i have a vague recollection of it repelling cats and the like as it stinks!!!!

xx
Is it a bad time to move rhubarb?

Started by Ice on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 11, 2007, 23:46
by Aunt Sally
xx
sorry, another 'when to move' question, this time rhubarb!

Started by mrsparsnip on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2006, 22:06
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Rhubarb when can I move it?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 17, 2019, 13:44
by mumofstig
xx
When can I move Rhubarb

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2021, 18:22
by Eblana

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 34 queries.