Asparagus question

• 6 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Asparagus question
« on: November 03, 2011, 23:52 »
How much soil depth does it need? Would I get away with about 8" depth or is that too shallow?

If it's not enough, any other suggestions for something to stick in a bed I've got with that soil depth? I have rhubarb in it at the moment, which is not at all happy. Until I stuck a fork in it the other week I didn't realise how shallow it was. I thought the bed was on top of soil, but looks like there's hard core underneath. It's a completely self-contained bed well away from my other veggies, not possible to protect from rabbits or dogs so it would have to be pretty tough and not at all appetising or it'll get eaten. Shame to waste the bed because it's about 10 foot by 4 foot with reasonable soil and it seems well drained.

Trillium

Re: Asparagus question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 02:17 »
8" is definitely not enough for asparagus. But lettuce, baby carrots and small onions won't mind that depth. And strawberries could cope as well provided fertilitity on the top part is kept up.

Asparagus needs close to 2 ft depth to do well, so perhaps building up a raised bed another foot and a half above this area? Rhubarb might be happy in a deep pot.

pixie1nigel

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 08:27 »
 No chance with asparagus, 2' depth required. Even a raspberry bed,would require another 9" or so with loads of organic matter to hold on to water and nutrients, even though they love to be free draining. + some support for taller summer varietys. Tolerant of shade but love full sun though, and indestructable! Would a raised bed be possible?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 09:22 »
Thanks for those suggestions. It already is a raised bed and it wouldn't be straightforward to try to make it deeper because it's edged with concrete edging strips. And I'm afraid the rabbits would munch anything like lettuce or baby carrots there.  They wouldn't touch onions - and they wouldn't need to be small, I grew monster onions last year in a bed that's 6" of topsoil sitting on concrete :)

But onions are quite vulnerable when they're small, whether sets or seedlings, and there's not really any easy way to protect that bed because of where it's located. It has to be something that's tough enough to survive without protection and doesn't make a tasty snack for rabbits. I did use to grow strawberries in that bed, but gave up on them because I couldn't get a sturdy enough barrier around it to stop the squirrels munching them all. Maybe I need to put my thinking cap on and see if I can come up with some kind of cage to protect the bed, but I don't know how effective it could ever be because the ground around the bed is so uneven.

Babstreefern

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 20:57 »
Can you move asparagus though ???
Babs

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 22:02 »
No problem - just dig and move... they die back now so it is the right time.  Prepare your bed with good compost.

see this link by John the site owner..

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/aparagus/index.php 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Babstreefern

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 15:19 »
Thanks Gav, that great.  I'll be moving them in the coming weeks:)

xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
asparagus question

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 28, 2011, 21:08
by gobs
xx
asparagus question

Started by nickyveglover on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 23:08
by nickyveglover
xx
Asparagus question

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 02, 2007, 21:59
by muntjac

Page created in 0.419 seconds with 38 queries.