sweet corn

• 19 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: sweet corn
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 16:22 »
Jay, I think the sandy soil which we both have, may be the reason for only one cob per plant.

Fraid not MoS - I grew some ( 16 in a 4x4 square) in 2009 and had 2 cobs per plant even in my sand pit.  :D Not had the room to grow any since though.

Sandy soil certainly doesn't help, nor do the ropey summers lately, but I still get the impression they (Swift) want to produce more than one cob.

Can't do more than I already do do for the soil, and can't do anything at all about the weather, so I've not got much choice but to pin my hopes on trying to improve the pollination aspect of it.  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 17:27 »
oh well..........I thought it was a good excuse  :nowink:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2011, 19:50 »
My Swift produce only one cob in the greenhouse (and same outside).  They get plenty of warmth there! and a rich soil. I think the plants are physically too short to support a second cob.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2011, 19:58 »
My Swift produce only one cob in the greenhouse (and same outside).  They get plenty of warmth there! and a rich soil. I think the plants are physically too short to support a second cob.

In that case (not for the first time in my life!) I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping for a sure-fire recommendation for a reliable big-un!  ::)  :lol:

bigben

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2011, 20:39 »
Jay - if it is any consolation I am just down the road from you and while I have managed a second cob on some of my sweetcorn, very few of the second cobs are any good. My soil is not sandy but I must admit to perhaps needing to water and feed them more. Last two years I have just about left them to themselves. Last year was hopeless. I put them out too early and they all died so I then had to sow two half packets of leftovers. They were different types and the corn I got was not very sweet and rather boring. I am hopeing for better things this year. My supa sweet are just popping thru on my windowsill, I will give them a week or so in the greenhouse and perhaps pot them onto something bigger.

xx
Popping corn - sweet corn seeds.

Started by Anguswylie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 12, 2023, 09:21
by Snow
xx
sweet corn

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 11, 2016, 09:29
by JayG
xx
Sweet corn

Started by greenjay on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 18, 2023, 10:05
by greenjay
xx
Sweet corn

Started by flowerlady on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post May 26, 2008, 07:32
by crackedflowerpots

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.