Bareroot strawbs

• 4 Replies

radiohead

• Experienced Member
Bareroot strawbs
« on: August 31, 2010, 20:44 »
I've ordered 30 bareroot strawberry plants from T&M for end of october delivery...I wonder if anyone would be good enough too give me a few tips on planting them...In particular I was thinking it might be beneficial to cover them with plastic at first to give them a start....or am I being thick as presumably they will be dormant anyway....What do you think?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bareroot strawbs
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 20:53 »
I just bunged mine in (from another seller) a few weeks ago and they've romped away.

Not sure whether that advice should differ given that you're looking at planting them in a couple of months.  I would worry that putting them under plastic could cause mould / botrytis to grow.  They are hardy so perhaps fleece overnight for the first few weeks in the unlikely event of frost?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 21:04 »
Thanks for that....T&M quoted end of oct delivery...but I do wonder if that a bit late,as presumably it will be late for them to establish and crop next year, which was what I was hoping.

Avocetboy

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 21:24 »
We ordered 20 from T&M as well (great deal - £1.80 including Pand P). Ours are due for delivery late September. Will these fruit next year????

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 21:25 »
Strawberries are pretty hardy. You could pop them straight in or pot them and put them in the greenhouse ive done both succesfully.

In my experience, unless they are established plants, strawberries seem to fruit a little in their first year and crop much better in their second and third years.

Steve

xx
Bareroot trees

Started by J_B on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2013, 14:55
by Yorkie
xx
Bareroot Strawberry Plants

Started by AlistairMcLennan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 10, 2012, 17:49
by JayG
xx
Bareroot raspberry plants

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 15:48
by RJR_38
xx
Bareroot Strawberries - storing until the weekend?

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2021, 17:17
by maddave

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 38 queries.