Nothing growing :(

• 17 Replies

fletch

• Experienced Member
Nothing growing :(
« on: May 08, 2010, 14:47 »
It seems that everything I've sown direct into the ground over the last few weeks is not germinating at all or is sooooooooo slow. Salads, radishes, Swiss Chard, beetroot, peas.. everything.
I know it's cold but is this normal, or is it just me?  :(
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

SarahB

• Experienced Member
Re: Nothing growing :(
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 14:58 »
It's not you (or if it is, it's me as well!) - the only thing to come up outside in the past couple of weeks is radishes.  Even some of the stuff planted in the conservatory is coming up very slow, and we're in the "sunny" south-east...

peterjf

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 15:03 »
my beetroots just coming through , they been in almost a month

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 15:19 »
It's that flipping volcano...all that dust is making clouds..brrr

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 15:49 »
Swede's have shown up in reasonable time :happy: :happy:, everything else appears to be reluctant. :ohmy: :ohmy:

Wombat

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 16:43 »
Very slow this year.  Peas and broad beans are only just showing after weeks in the ground.  Just too cold I suppose.  Got the heating back on at home.

PAH48

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 17:33 »
You can all see where abouts I live ....its been slow....but suddenly everthing seems to be coming on at once...even in the G/H (cold) beans ...well some are 18" tall...they will have to go in soon..Weather or not wether....its nature... ;)

fletch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 15:39 »
Well I've been and had a potter about today and it's still row after after row of no-shows  :mad:.

And with the current weather forecast I can't see anything changing in the immediate future either.  >:(

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 15:41 »
mine are slow too - my spinache germinated fine but seems to be stuck, parsnips too. Spuds are only just showing - last year I had earthed up by now!
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 16:15 »
mine are slow too - my spinache germinated fine but seems to be stuck, parsnips too. Spuds are only just showing - last year I had earthed up by now!

Don't know why I think so but 10C (50F) seems to be about the boundary between plants growing reasonably quickly and hardly at all.

In a way Aelf you are lucky to have your spuds only just showing; I have run out of soil to earth mine up and had to go out this afternoon to buy some fleece (mind you, I also picked up some cheap deodorant called "Excite" (fragrance called "Surge".) I could soon be in charge of a very dangerous pair of armpits!)  8)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Jsy Lou

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 16:23 »
Even down south here in the Channel Islands I am not having much luck!
Beetroots are still not up after about a month.  The only things that seem to be enjoying this weather are my tomatoes.  :)

viettaclark

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 16:28 »
Patience fellow gardeners! The warmth is coming at the end of this week and you won't believe how fast everything will grow! And so will the slugs..... ::) >:(
Last autumn was warm...I was picking raspberries in November! Let's hope this summer is better than last but down South here we could do with RAIN at the moment....I'm watering every 2 days!!!!

skywalker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 16:52 »
I'm near you fletch and only thing up are beetroot and radishes. Spuds just showing but everything else I'm still waiting. But as I keep telling myself "Patience young skywalker!"
The force is strong in this one!
(As Organic as possible)

Siouxfly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 17:38 »
Looks like we Scots are doing a bit better with this years weather then we've probably got the rain to thank for that. I've got lettuces almost ready to eat, carrots, parsnips, onions, garlic, spinach, beetroot, spring onions, radishes and potatoes all growing really well but my broccoli & brussels are just as they were when planted out, they appear to have stopped growing altogether!
I've also got raspberry canes that look as if they are about to fruit anyday, I could swear they didn't even have leaves on them a couple of weeks ago!
My other fruits look dreadful though, I have fed them but they aren't growing well at all neither are my mixed salad leaves and swede which haven't even shown as yet!
Everything else is indoors and I fear my tomatoes are getting a bit leggy as I haven't put the polytunnel up yet (still preparing the ground), I've only got one wee squash plant as no others have germinated and my cougettes, peppers, basil, sweetcorn and other herbs really need to go out but will have to wait till after the cold spell.
I'm going to get the tunnel up over the next few days as I really need it, we can hardy see out our windows they are so full of little plants!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 17:42 »

I also picked up some cheap deodorant called "Excite" (fragrance called "Surge".) I could soon be in charge of a very dangerous pair of armpits!)  8)  :lol:

blimey! good job the wind is blowing westerly! :D
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 17:44 by aelf »

clip
What am I growing?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 19, 2017, 16:42
by Aidy
xx
What are you growing too much of?

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post July 25, 2017, 21:26
by Thrutchington
xx
What veg are best for growing here?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 07, 2009, 06:33
by Kagganz
xx
New to growing!

Started by plumcrazi_2005 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 24, 2006, 14:16
by lentil987

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 37 queries.