new allotment

• 5 Replies

Sparky

new allotment
« on: September 21, 2009, 08:16 »
Hi,

we're new to growing veg and fruit, but have just been allocated an allotment.
It was previously used to grow crops, but has been ploughed and run over with a disc harrow, so is currently weed free, although there is some straw poking through in places.

I guess the first thing I do is rotorvate it and add manure/fertiliser?

We want to plant some fruit trees, but should we grass the area under the trees or leave it bare?

It's a fairly big plot so we're thinking of starting slowly with about half of it and then cultivating more as we get into it.

Any thoughts on stuff that is very easy to grow in the first year so that we don't get too disheartened if nothing grows?

Thanks

Mark.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: new allotment
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:19 »
When I got my plot, although they had ploughed it, they had just ploughed in all the couch grass and brambles, so I still had to dig over the whole plot before planting anything. Have a good dig around and make sure it really is weed free first. If not, fortunately you have plenty of time before spring planting, in which to prepare it properly, but there are a few things which can be started off now or over the next few weeks:
If you can get spring cabbage plants, they can be planted out now. (Protect from pigeons) Overwintering onion sets can be put in now as can garlic, and broad beans can be sown any time from now until next spring.
While your trees are small you could underplant with other things but you'll find it quickly grasses over naturally unless you're constantly weeding it out.
Rachael

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:29 »
Hi Mark - try looking at the link in this thread: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=45444.0

Slow is definately the way to go - too much digging will put you off! It may look weed free - but a lot of weeds will regrow from roots left in the soil  >:(  Easy things to grow for next year - chard, mangetoute, runners, rhubarb. Carrots & parsnips - but not on newly manured soil, ask around to see if carrot fly is a problem, if so they'll need covering.
If you can get some ground cleared you could put in some strawberries & raspberries and you may get a small crop - I planted mine last december and got a few!
Salad leaves are easyish if you can get up to water them and either slug pellet or remove by hand. A lot of people put spuds in in the spring to break up soil - very easy, but will need watering & feeding.

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 18:43 »
Congratulations on your plot and welcome to the fourm, lots of useful advice on here.

I would suggest you plant something, that way you are motivated to go down there to look at them and you can do some preparation whilst you are there!  In a week or two you could start with some overwintering garlic and onions.  Broad beans will be good then too.

Good luck!

Sparky

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:29 »
Hi,

Thanks for the advice, 

have had a look at the plot and dug around a bit and it doesn't seem to have too many weeds which is a blessing. However I've been talking to some of the other owners and they think that because it has been used to grow crops intensively, the soil could be in poor condition. So I guess there's a bit of work to do either way.

Will probably start digging this week-end to get something planted and then take it a bit at a time.

Will let you know how it goes

Cheers

Mark.

gillie

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:39 »
As far as the fruit trees go, start with bare soil.  Once they have been in for a few years and are well established, you can grass over.  This will  hold back the vegetative growth a bit and  hopefully encourage fruiting.  Remember that you have got to get in there to mow so plant trees which will grow to a decent height, otherwise you will be grass cutting on hands and knees!

Cheers,

Gillie

xx
still no allotment but

Started by vegikev on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 19:51
by vegikev
xx
put me name down for a allotment

Started by homegrown on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 23, 2013, 21:42
by surbie100
xx
A new allotment

Started by fjace5 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 22:23
by Nogger
xx
help? new allotment

Started by pvc on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 14:20
by izzy

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 36 queries.