more use for comfrey

• 13 Replies

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
more use for comfrey
« on: June 16, 2008, 19:18 »
I see someone on my allotment has put comfrey in between her tomatoes, so I have done the same but with my sweetcorn.
I have cut the comfrey about 6 inches from the bottom, it is about 6 feet high now.
It is slowly taking over the bottom of the plot.
I have made tea with it, put it in my bean trench.
I hope it will be a weed suppressant.
Reg
I'm lost without my SatNav.

jannie

• Experienced Member
more use for comfrey
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 19:44 »
Hi  :)
   I put mine in the bottom of my potato trench then put the pots on top read it in a really old book, planted 4 rows of the same pots two with comfrey 2 without just to see, the plants are stronger have to let you know when i dig them up , jan

SalJ1980

more use for comfrey
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 19:44 »
I have made tea with mine, stuffed loads of leaves into an old pair of OH's mum's tights  :lol: and dangled in a bucket of water - then I use it diluted to water with. Smells like s**t so hopefully it will be good!  :lol:

Also keep planning to mulch with the leaves, but haven't got around to it yet.
Sal

Organic...so far!

muntjac

more use for comfrey
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 20:14 »
dont let it seed on the plot or you will be forever chopping it out . dig up the tubers later in the year and treansplant them to a more conveniant place for tea etc , the bees love it so it can help bring the in to runners etc . we have loadsssss of it growing wild here :)
still alive /............

hotterotter

more use for comfrey
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 21:47 »
wild comfrey isn't so good as the bocking types, bocking 14 has loads more (like several times more) pottasium in it than the wild stuff, so if you grow it deliberately its worth getting the proper cultivar. But wild comfrey is free of course and you could always just get several times as much.

Comfrey's colloqueal name is knitbone, a traditional use of it was to help heal broken bones. You're meant to use a paste from the roots bandaged over with the wilted leaves.

If you wanna know about comfrey then Proffesor Lawrence D Hills (founder of Henry Doubleday Research Ass. aka Garden Organic) has written many books about it.

peterjf

comfrey
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 22:24 »
ive made 45 gallon of fertiliser / tea with my 1st batch , im planning another 45 gallon in 3 weeks ,cheaper and better then shop bought

compostqueen

more use for comfrey
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 22:29 »
don't forget you can use it as a compost activator too  :D

Here's my comfrey pipe :D

Bombers

more use for comfrey
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 09:14 »
Love yer masher CQ. Lanson or Moet?? :drunken:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

WebSiteEvo

• Experienced Member
  • Growing in North Yorkshire :)
    • Goji Cafe in York
more use for comfrey
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 10:30 »
I have been placing leafs on the lawn and mowing them up with the grass cuttings. The resulting mix has been used as a nice mulch for hungry veg and fruit trees.

I also plan to dry some leafs then crush it up as fine as possible and apply it to my lawn as a fertilizer.
http://www.websiteevo.com/veg_patch.jpg[/img]
3nd Year @ organic vegetable gardening & forest gardening
----------------------------------

compostqueen

more use for comfrey
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 10:41 »
Me masher is Bolly dahling  :lol:

Hey leaf mould is good for carrots apparently. Used when sowing. Marks the row too  :D

lincspoacher

more use for comfrey
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 10:55 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
Me masher is Bolly dahling  :lol:

Hey leaf mould is good for carrots apparently. Used when sowing. Marks the row too  :D

be careful using glass, if it breaks it coudl hrt you badly.

If you want ill turn you a free custom made masher out of oak or beech, on my lathe, just tell me the inside diameter of the pipe.

compostqueen

more use for comfrey
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 10:58 »
The first attempt ended in the bottle freezing as like a dope I'd filled it with water  :oops:   Second time I filled it with sand and it's been fine.  Touch wood  :D   It's more of a press than a masher and I take care cos I don't want to break it cos if that happens I've got to dismantle the thing  :D

Bombers

more use for comfrey
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 11:01 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
The first attempt ended in the bottle freezing as like a dope I'd filled it with water  :oops:   Second time I filled it with sand and it's been fine.  Touch wood  :D   It's more of a press than a masher and I take care cos I don't want to break it cos if that happens I've got to dismantle the thing  :D

What do you use for the filter bit - At the end of the pipe?

compostqueen

more use for comfrey
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 11:50 »
there is no filter as I never thought of putting one in, cos it didn't say anything on the instructions I was given.  Despite there being just a small hole in that black pipe (at the bottom) it doesn't seem to get blocked.  It is possible to insert a length of wire or metal skewer up the hole in the pipe if it did get blocked though.  

The pipe works very well in this warm weather, and as long as I remember to keep topping up the pipe with fresh leaves, I always have a ready supply of comfrey liquid ready for turning into tea with the lotty butt water (which is next to the pipe).  To divert the liquid neatly into the hole in the top of the jam jar lid I use the bottom half of a watering can rose. The dog had chewed the top half so it was no good as a rose anyway  :D

xx
Comfrey tea

Started by vanessa.xx on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 19:52
by Beetroot queen
xx
Comfrey

Started by Praxxus on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 23:09
by viettaclark
xx
Comfrey Tea

Started by Chas62 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 08, 2012, 20:37
by snowdrops
xx
Comfrey?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 20, 2014, 06:46
by cadalot

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 33 queries.