holding off planting out french beans

• 22 Replies

gunner

holding off planting out french beans
« on: April 27, 2021, 08:59 »
I've got some french bean plants I started about a month ago, I was hoping to have planted them out by now, but we're still having frosts (which is very unusual for us down in cornwall) I  have been placing the plants outside during the day time and bringing them in at night. They are starting to look a bit pale now i'm guessing they,ve used up the nutrients in the compost should I be feeding them?, looks like we've got at least another 7-10 days of possible frosty nights at least before they can be planted out

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: holding off planting out french beans
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 09:40 »
Yes, a liquid feed would be ideal  :)

jambop

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 09:42 »
This might sound a bit daft but if you have plenty of seed why not just start some more off? Another ten days is a long time in bean growth term and I am not certain that the roots will like being hemmed in to a small space and may not do so well when eventually planted out. On the other hand bean germinate very quickly so you have not lost anything provided you have the seed.

actually it is a salutary lesson there is not much to be gained by starting beans off too early because French beans a particularly fussy about the weather even down here in what could be termed good growing conditions for them they sulk if the weather is not to their liking. It is far better waiting until you are certain the weather will be more kind to them and they can grow unhindered by unfavourable conditions.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:48 by jambop »

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 14:23 »
Yes, a liquid feed would be ideal  :)
A quick feed of MiracleGro would probably perk them up no end - once they're in the ground they should get away fine.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

JoyPegs

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 10:13 »
Excuse me for jumping in here if I may, with my own bean conundrum:  I planted my bean seeds last week in pots but I stupidly put them in a carrying tray before labelling  :ohmy:

I planted half runner 'Moonlight' & half purple french Triofono Violetto - will I be able to tell the difference when they shoot or would you advise carefully tipping them out now to check?

Many thanks for your help.

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 11:05 »
I think the purple leaves will look a slight purple colour [why not plant a couple that you know the variety of to compare] good luck
from bow like to grow

lettice

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 11:59 »
I'm sure any feed will help rejuvenate them.

It was a bit early in your case for sowing beans end of March.

I only sowed all my runner, french, dwarf french and flat type beans about a week ago.
All are now breaking the soil now and some like the french cobra are over an inch high already.
Beans germinate very quickly.

Have tried over the years putting out all kinds of beans as testers a bit early, but they do not grow any better or to be honest as productive than mid May planted ones.

We have plenty of sayings round here about when to get beans out, basically mid May.
Have always adhered to that rule along with sowing starts mid to end of April for sowing beans.

al78

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 14:49 »

I only sowed all my runner, french, dwarf french and flat type beans about a week ago.
All are now breaking the soil now and some like the french cobra are over an inch high already.

Mine haven't. I sowed mine in modules indoors over two weeks ago and only a handful of them have emerged. I haven't started sowing the climbing variety. With the look of the medium range forecasts it won't be until well into summer at this rate before it will be warm enough. 2021, the year of the six month winter.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 14:53 »
My French dwarf and climbing beans took a bit to germinate, but when they did I put them out during the warm days but they went back in the GH at night especially with the frosts we've had here. No way will they be planted out yet.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jambop

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2021, 16:44 »

Have tried over the years putting out all kinds of beans as testers a bit early, but they do not grow any better or to be honest as productive than mid May planted ones.

We have plenty of sayings round here about when to get beans out, basically mid May.
Have always adhered to that rule along with sowing starts mid to end of April for sowing beans.

Different country I know but I agree with you. I sow my beans out doors when days of cold soil are past and this is usually about mid May down here believe it or not I have sown slenderette  on a Monday and they have been through on the Saturday! The problem with French beans is that they will not grow well unless the temperature is right they just sit there doing nothing that is why I don't bother with the trouble of sowing early at least 75% of the time they don't do well.

gunner

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 09:58 »

Always learning, this is my first full year growing veg, I've used the calendar here on the site, inputing my location, I have been following the suggested dates for starting different veg. For our location the calendar says the average last frost for us is end of march, but we had a touch of frost this morning (29th april) and the foecast says we might have a frost for a day or two yet. I think for next year I'll adjust the last frost date on the calendar by a couple of weeks at least. I will give the beans a feed as suggested, but I think I might start some new ones and plant them out as well as a comparison and see how they compare with each other

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 11:03 »
Hi Gunner
It's always helpful if you pop your location in your forum profile (county/country) - since things vary so much depending on location.

gunner

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 11:19 »
Hi Gunner
It's always helpful if you pop your location in your forum profile (county/country) - since things vary so much depending on location.
O.K will do

jambop

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 19:37 »

Always learning, this is my first full year growing veg, I've used the calendar here on the site, inputing my location, I have been following the suggested dates for starting different veg. For our location the calendar says the average last frost for us is end of march, but we had a touch of frost this morning (29th april) and the foecast says we might have a frost for a day or two yet. I think for next year I'll adjust the last frost date on the calendar by a couple of weeks at least. I will give the beans a feed as suggested, but I think I might start some new ones and plant them out as well as a comparison and see how they compare with each other

Good idea to start some more off if you have seed. The thing is that F beans maybe take 12-14 weeks from sowing to harvest... with your first sown about half of that time will have been in a small pot I don't think that can be a good way to grow beans. For what it is worth don't get obsessed about getting things in the ground early think more about getting them in the ground at the right time so that they will grow without a nasty check due to bad weather because all that does is set the plants back and even reduce the crop. In the case of your beans it is far better to start them in late April and plant them out in mid May that have them ready to plant out in mid April and then not being able to because of weather. That is only my opinion though some people worship the god of getting early crops and will suffer failures to get possible results.

al78

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 08:44 »
The way the UK's extreme Spring is going it will be August before you can plant beans outside.  ::)

question
Planting out climbing french beans

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 12:53
by LivvyW
xx
French beans; planting distance

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 06, 2010, 19:03
by spiderlyn
xx
French Beans - Planting distances

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2008, 23:25
by John
xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo

Page created in 0.401 seconds with 53 queries.