How to grow parsley successfully

• 22 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How to grow parsley successfully
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2021, 14:50 »
I've come to the conclusion, that they probably like some bottom heat to germinate quickly  :D
For the first time ever, they went in the heated propagator, as I had room  - only because I haven't started the courgettes and squash family yet, and they were up in a few days  ::)

missmoneypenny

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2021, 18:22 »
Thanks for that subversive plot. I read an article on growing tomatoes in the southern USA ( I’m wild like that) and it said that there are months in the summer when you can’t grow most crops, it’s too hot. Coming from England when we can’t grow most crops for at least half the year because it’s too cold, I found that amazing.re the bands, my best friend won a trip to the southern states back when we were in our twenties and broke (🤢). Unaccountably, she took her sister not me as her plus one, and they met Michael Stipe in a bar, I forget the town, it could have been Athens. She also talked her way into a top stud farm in Kentucky. It took me a while to recover from my jealousy on that one  :).

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2021, 05:31 »
Thanks for that subversive plot. I read an article on growing tomatoes in the southern USA ( I’m wild like that) and it said that there are months in the summer when you can’t grow most crops, it’s too hot. Coming from England when we can’t grow most crops for at least half the year because it’s too cold, I found that amazing.re the bands, my best friend won a trip to the southern states back when we were in our twenties and broke (🤢). Unaccountably, she took her sister not me as her plus one, and they met Michael Stipe in a bar, I forget the town, it could have been Athens. She also talked her way into a top stud farm in Kentucky. It took me a while to recover from my jealousy on that one  :).

Miss Mp:

There are certainly things our climate prevents me from growing, or at least requires that I change how they are grown. For example rhubarb does not do well here, though some people try growing it as an annual, started from seed indoors in August, or try growing heat tolerant varieties in the shade!  I grow peas, but I planted mine in December to January to have peas now, in April.  Other crops, like tomatoes or peppers, grow just fine, but still may require more water or shade than they would up north.

Regarding your friend's southern trip, and Michael Stipe, when I started school here (1986), my fellow graduate students and I noted that virtually anyone in Athens trying to come off as cool, or 'in the know' musically, claimed to be friends with Michael Stipe, or know him or members of REM personally. Which probably meant they saw him once at a distance of 100 yards!  I joked with friends, threatening to have a T-shirt made proclaiming 'only person in Athens who's not a personal friend of Michael Stipe'. REM was famous for showing up at local clubs and playing under a pseudonym, to mostly people that really did know the band, or that were let in on the secret.

If you are still in touch with your friend, ask if the town was Athens? The Uptown Lounge, and the 40-Watt Club, were popular music bars back then. Absolute dives, but the place to hear good (and sometimes bad) live music. The 40-Watt Club was painted black inside and, at it's original location, allegedly lit only by a single 40-watt light bulb hanging from the ceiling. Both clubs have opened and closed several times, and moved around as well.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 05:49 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

missmoneypenny

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2021, 18:09 »
That's really interesting subversive plot. We are still very much still in touch, although it was a while ago so not sure she’ll remember where the bat was. I will ask her.
Growing things here is all about making the most of every scrap of sunshine ( I don’t have a greenhouse), apart from the odd heatwave, which even in London only usually lasts a week or two. Happy gardening!

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2021, 19:23 »
Hi Subversive

Sorry to say the only reason I know Athens is because of REM and the B-52s! I was 19 in 1989 so that scene was known over here on the indie circuit before REM became big-big. Happy days ;-)

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2021, 19:59 »
Sadly, I never saw REM live, but did see the B-52's live at a concert at the University of Georgia's Legion Field! That was a blast.

jambop

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2021, 20:31 »
Hi Subversive

Sorry to say the only reason I know Athens is because of REM and the B-52s! I was 19 in 1989 so that scene was known over here on the indie circuit before REM became big-big. Happy days ;-)
Seen REM live twice once in Edinburgh and once in Stirling... brilliant!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2021, 15:45 »
Miss Mp:
 Since parsley is biennial, I have to replace the (adult) plant I have now with new plants, or raise from seed; my "adult" plant is already showing signs of bolting to seed. 

I sowed seed of flat-leaved Italian parsley (saved from plants that went to seed last year) on April 26. Here it is, 10 days later, the seeds have germinated. So, if you are growing from seed, sow your seed during a cool-to-warm spell with lots of water and you should be able to germinate parsley from seed in 2 or 3 weeks.  When your parsley bolts to seed, don't be too hasty and toss it out, a single parsley flower stalk produces a lot of seed, just save the seed when it turns brown.  I'll let you know the quality of the parsley later, but I assume since there is no other parsley nearby, the plant is self-pollinated, hoping the quality is similar to last years.

xx
Can I grow Ginger successfully Up North?

Started by Kevin67 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 20:07
by Kevin67
xx
Yard Long Beans, anyone successfully grown them outdoors?

Started by Muddylou on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 11:33
by Muddylou
xx
Parsley

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 23:00
by Eblana
xx
Parsley Help

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 27, 2020, 18:40
by Vagabond

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 46 queries.