chitting parsnips?

• 4 Replies

3759allen

chitting parsnips?
« on: May 12, 2016, 21:13 »
can you or do any of you chit parsnip seeds?

this is my last year at trying to grow the things as i've had very little success in the past.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: chitting parsnips?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 09:14 »
I have tried chitting parsnips and it works, but boy, are they fiddly to deal with?  :wacko:

Germination problems can be largely avoided by using fresh seed (although I have got reasonable results using one year old seed) and not sowing too early - mine will be sown in the next day or so, 3 or 4 in stations about 6" apart in each direction.

If you haven't found the link elsewhere in the forum, perhaps now is a good time to post the useful chart showing the effect of soil temperature on the rate and speed of germination of several fruit and vegetable seeds - as you can see the effect of cold soil temperature on parsnip seed germination is quite spectacular!  :ohmy:

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page11.html
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

3759allen

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 10:56 »
thanks for the replies.

i will get them going today.

they are fresh seed this year. i have trouble with bunches and gaps when i direct sow so i'm hoping chitting may fix this.

Mr Dog

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 13:56 »
I've taken to chitting mine in the last few years - a pair of tweezers makes handling easier. I know everyone says to use fresh seed but I've not found I need to with this method: this year I got over 95% germination from seed bought in an end of season sale 5 years ago.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 13:58 by Mr Dog »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 18:49 »
Parsnip seed does generally deteriorate every year, but one of the main things which will help it retain its strength after the first year is keeping intact the little foil packet that the seeds are contained in .
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Chitting parsnips

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 30, 2021, 17:23
by snowdrops
xx
Pre-chitting Parsnips

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 11:58
by Trebor
xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
chitting

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2013, 21:52
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 37 queries.