seed companies

• 25 Replies

snow white

seed companies
« on: September 02, 2014, 13:09 »
Out of interest, what has your experience been of the major seed companies.  Germination rates and customer service being the bits I am interested in.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: seed companies
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 15:28 »
I seem to remember a report being done a couple of years ago into, I think, germination rates.  Probably by Which? - you could try a forum or wider search.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 15:41 »
I try to avoid the bigger seed companies as their customer service seems to be less than great. I bought awful plug plants from Marshalls, complained about their condition and have yet to receive a reply. Will not use them again.

Seeds of Italy, Realseeds, vegetableseeds.net and Plantworldseeds all have really good customer service, and so I spend a lot more with them.

I don't really notice problems with germination rates - other than with artichokes, and I am convinced that's user error rather than the seeds.

Headgardener22

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 15:44 »
I feel (no proof) that I've had poor germination this year from T&M packets.

For most of my standard allotment seeds, I use Moles and never had any issues with germination rates.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 15:50 »
Another Moles user here. Never been let down by them. Cheaper too!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Robster

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 15:56 »
Echo most of what's written so far.  If I've had a germination problem I think its been me in the past.  I think it was one of the guys already posted today that recomened Moles to me and I've been very pleased with the service and the generous quantity of seeds that I use a lot of, broad beans for example.  I like DT Brown as VFM as well

kirpi

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 16:16 »
I am using Organic Catalogue for next years' seeds and sets and have never been let down, germination or customer service-wise.

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 16:34 »
Real Seeds is my favourite.  I also like Simpsons Seeds, Tuckers Seeds and Seeds of Italy. 

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 16:36 »
I try to avoid the bigger seed companies as their customer service seems to be less than great. I bought awful plug plants from Marshalls, complained about their condition and have yet to receive a reply. Will not use them again.

I've not had a problem with Seeds from the likes or Marshalls and Suttons, less confident about T&M seeds, but they are often the only ones selling something unusual that I want.

But all of them have let me down for anything other than seeds - plug plants, garlic bulbs, etc.  Stock levels and Delivery dates, and sometime quality of plants, have been atrocious. They should stick to selling seeds, or do a proper job / form a proper relationship with their suppliers for the other stuff.

Another Moles user here. Never been let down by them. Cheaper too!

I would qualify that with "Cheaper if you want quite a lot of seed, or can share with a neighbour".  Moles is free postage (except for Peas, Beans and Green Manure seeds), which can be handy when Is tart sowing and realise I'm missing just one or two things

Premier Seeds (eBay shop) and More Veg et al seem to me to be cheaper for "normal quantities", although some of those vendors have a limited range of varieties.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 16:44 »
I like DT Brown as VFM as well

Me too. Like Moles too, but only have a half plot so their packets could actually last me a lifetime!   :D

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 20:05 »
I'm going to get on my (perhaps solitary) bandwagon. I do not and will not buy seeds from people like T&M.

I support independent growers. I have never found anything I couldn't get from an independent seed company or nursery and the product (be that seeds or plants) would tend to be well adapted for our climate.

My list of favourites:

(Seeds, UK)
http://www.realseeds.co.uk
http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk
http://www.poyntzfieldherbs.co.uk
http://www.thomasetty.co.uk
http://www.pennardplants.com

(Seeds, USA)
http://www.rareseeds.com
www.adaptiveseeds.com

Updated list, Pennard Plants added.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:59 by rowan57 »

snow white

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 20:29 »
 :)Food for thought indeed.  Many thanks. 

Springlands

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 21:06 »
I would definitely go for real seeds again for the next season. My very expensive F1 Tiffany seeds from T&M had very poor germination this year and then the plant that survived died. T&M said it was probably a bad batch. The relatively cheap Boothby Blonde cucumber seeds from Real Seeds (I bought them at least two years ago) have done really well and are romping away in my garden.

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 12:47 »
Had enough of major seed sellers, they all sell the same range would rather go next year with heritage or unusual rather than run of the mill, T&M poor germination and sold me rocket seeds that turned out to be tomato plants, Mr Fothergill Borlotti that were broad beans.
:D I garden therefore I am

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 12:54 »
I buy most of my seeds from Premier Seeds through Ebay, but they also sell on Amazon.  Their Ebay P&P is a bit cheaper though.

VERY good customer service too!

Seeds of Italy a little more expensive, but nice variety of something a bit different!

xx
best seed companies

Started by dirk1951 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 12, 2012, 16:02
by Goldfinger
xx
seed companies

Started by The Golden Heap on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 18:31
by Malturn
xx
F1 seeds and seed companies

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 13:42
by Christo
question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 35 queries.