Using comfrey dry

• 5 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Using comfrey dry
« on: September 07, 2013, 14:10 »
I'm thinking about using a cut of comfrey to give a head start to a new raised bed. I was thinking about chopping up loads of leaves and using them to put down a layer, then covering that up with 6 inches soil to fill the raised bed. My theory was that it should give a good boost to the soil fertility in that bed. Think that would work, or waste of time and comfrey?

Beetroot Queen

Re: Using comfrey dry
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 14:31 »
I was thinking about getting dad AKA as the shredder to shred some of mine and do similiar, cant see it would be a waste of time so i will be giving it a go. Whats to lose it will soon regrow

Kirpi

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 14:40 »
I put a deep layer of Comfrey leaves under a thick layer of homemade compost this year for my raised strawberry bed. The result was healthy plants and some very nice fruit and no weeds.

I would recommend this method, but make sure the leaves are wilted a bit first or you could end up with a raised bed full of new Comfrey plantlets!

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 15:30 »
I was just going to say that, Kirpi. Let the leaves dry 2 days and set them down on the 3rd, and you should be fine, no new bed of comfrey  :D  Comfrey is one of the few plants that will root too easily.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 20:25 »
I put a deep layer of Comfrey leaves under a thick layer of homemade compost this year for my raised strawberry bed. The result was healthy plants and some very nice fruit and no weeds.

That never happens when I use homemade compost. I usually end up with a dense thicket of weeds.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 20:40 »
There's a comfrey bed next to our allotment,  As I dig up spuds I put down a strip of comfrey and turn the soil onto that.

Hope this helps.   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

clip
Comfrey

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2020, 15:43
by Twood
xx
comfrey

Started by peterjf on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 26, 2010, 00:18
by peterjf
xx
comfrey

Started by purplebat on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 25, 2007, 15:21
by WG.
xx
When will comfrey appear?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 15, 2010, 18:00
by goodegg

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 33 queries.