Jerusalem artichokes - help

• 6 Replies

julietmaria

• http://www.thewashablenappy.co.uk
Jerusalem artichokes - help
« on: May 21, 2010, 22:25 »
I am so excited I have just realised that I have some Jerusalem Artichokes are growing in my garden.  I only moved in September and I saw a big patch of them and wondered what they were in the Autumn.   :D 

Now I don't know what to do about them.  Do I feed them, they are covered in weeds at the moment which I am in the process of removing.  They were obviously not dug up last Autumn and eaten as I did not know what they were.  Is that a problem?  The one I lifted to prove my hunch - had a few holes in like something had nibbled it.  Does that matter.  They could have not been dug up for a couple of years as I know the man before us did no gardening in the last year here before he moved. 

So excited just hope that they can be salvaged.  Some are in the wrong place - can I did them up and move them.  :D
Thanks in advance for all responses, much appreciated.
Juliet
A flower cannot blossom without sunshine nor a garden without love

Adrian

Re: Jerusalem artichokes - help
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:03 »
You should be able to lift them and eat them - depending on how badly they are munched  ???

Quality could get worse if they are left in year after year, so it could be best to lift them all and re-plant a few of the best. It's really a bit late to be planting them now, but you could try. Alternatively, leave in the ones you have and live with the diminished quality and start properly next spring.

Treat them mostly like potatoes; it is also often advised to stop them growing more than about 6' high. They don't keep when lifted, sadly.

Cheers,

Adrian

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 10:11 »
If you dig them now they won't be much good for eating as they are starting to grow. You need to wait until the Autumn. Moving them might be possible, but you would need to water them really well to give them a chance.
As for replacing them I have only noticed an improvement year on year of the quality of mine, providing the ground is fed. I very much doubt you will dig them all up. I started off with 6 tubers and have never replanted any. I just get the volunteers growing each year, despite digging the ground over three or four times.

They keep in the ground, only dig as you need them in the Autumn / Winter
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

julietmaria

• http://www.thewashablenappy.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 23:49 »
thanks for your help.  I will leave them in for this year and dig them up in the autumn.  I will feed with my nettle soup and hope they like it and will survive for a year until they can get replanted.  Very happy as I had seen them on the edible garden programme the other night and decided I wanted to grow them, even asked at a garden centre if they had any :D
Thanks,
Juliet

Zippy

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 12:59 »
No need to feed - they mine for their own nutrients and grow like a flippin' weed! I would save my nettle soup for something more appreciative of it.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 14:05 »
Be warned about leaving too many tubers in the ground as they are so invasive they will take over your garden given the chance. 

Last year I basically dug up all the tubers I could find and I still have about 15 shoots coming up.  You will never be without Jerusalem Artichokes again :)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 16:32 »
Be warned about leaving too many tubers in the ground as they are so invasive they will take over your garden given the chance. 

Last year I basically dug up all the tubers I could find and I still have about 15 shoots coming up.  You will never be without Jerusalem Artichokes again :)
I put some in the garden last year and thought I'd dug them all up... just noticed the familiar leaves coming through though ...
I've put more on the lotty.
Luckily I like Jerusalems!
 :)
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

xx
Jerusalem artichokes

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 20, 2007, 18:16
by Sadgit
xx
Jerusalem artichokes, please help

Started by sheridal on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 21, 2008, 21:21
by sheridal
xx
Jerusalem Artichokes

Started by Heifer73 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2007, 22:06
by king cauli
xx
Jerusalem Artichokes

Started by ratman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2008, 19:33
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 28 queries.