Jerusalem artichokes

• 8 Replies

Snowpea

Jerusalem artichokes
« on: March 30, 2019, 21:53 »
Hi,
I have never grown Jerusalem artichokes before and wanted to know, do I give them a permanent bed of their own or put them in with my six bed rotation system? Do they need to be rotated due to disease build up or any thing like that. If they do need to be rotated which family of vegies should I put them with?  I have read a few of the posts and couldn't see any mention of disease problems. The main info I got is that given half a chance they will give Triffids a run for their money. :)
Thanks for any help.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Jerusalem artichokes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 22:42 »
I don't think they have much in the way of diseases.

They can be grown in the same place for a number of yrars but be aware that if you move then around in a rotation you will have them popping up all over as it is very difficult to dig out all of the roots.

They are related to Sunflowers.

https://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/jerusalem-artichokes-growing/

Snowpea

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 23:50 »
Thanks Aunt Sally,
I checked out the link you gave me. My goodness they do grow tall. I'm assuming the greenhouse in the pic is a standard garden one and about 2.5m tall at the roof apex.
I think I'll leave them out of the rotation and give them their own bit of ground. I have a spare bit in the front yard. If nothing else it will give the people walking past something to look at. :)
I have now read a few other articles about Jerusalem artichokes, mainly how to cook with them, and I love their alternate name of fartychokes, not sure how I will deal with the effects but nothing ventured as they say and apparently some people never have a problem. One article said to eat small quantities at first and build up. LOL I just love growing new things. Last year it was Horseradish.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 00:09 »
Strangely some people aren't affected by the 'side effects' but I found them painful. Must be genetic because I recall my father describing them as 'Those awful things we fed to the pigs in the war!' Might be worthwhile eating some before you get growing to see if you like them and they like you.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 10:34 »
We tried them once, they had no effect on my wife, but I had to go out for a long post-dinner walk to get over the after effects without damaging my marriage.

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 14:12 »
If you are going to grow them I'd certainly suggest growing them in tubs/large pots to keep them under control. Just as an idea as to how quickly they can spread, from 4 tubers in a tub I harvested over 50 tubers.

Snowpea

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 08:40 »
Thanks everyone for the info.
I hadn't thought about tubs. Something to think about.  They are just becoming available at the local vegetable markets here so I might do as suggested and try some first. One of my brothers said he likes them and they don't seem to bother him. Here's hoping its genetic. :) In any case there is only me here so no need to go for walks if not. :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 13:54 »
Grow "Fuseau" as it is a lot less knobbly and easyer [sic] to peel, But the after effects are just as good! :lol:

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Mr Dog

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 18:20 »
Grow "Fuseau" as it is a lot less knobbly and easyer [sic] to peel, But the after effects are just as good! :lol:

Cheers,  Tony.

TBH I never peel the tubers, just give them a scrub.

xx
Jerusalem artichokes - help

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 16:32
by PennyS
xx
Jerusalem Artichokes

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 21:11
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Jerusalem artichokes

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 07, 2021, 10:54
by coldandwindy
xx
Jerusalem artichokes

Started by shaun on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 14:38
by woodsmoke

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 38 queries.