New Birds Quandary

• 2 Replies

iwantanallotment

New Birds Quandary
« on: September 11, 2009, 00:56 »
Think I know what you all will say, but asking anyway  :(

Recently I bought 3 x 7-week old Welsummer chicks. Two died within 4 days, showing symptoms of mycoplasma. That was 4 weeks ago.
The 3rd is 110% fine - eats like a horse, lively & active, a bit mental in fact. She is 11 weeks old and about to go into a newly built house and run up the garden, by herself for now bless.
BUT - she sneezes.

Nothing wrong with her in the slightest, just sneezes. Always has. No nasal discharge, clear eyes, no gasping, growing well, perfect apart from sneezing now and again.

Now my Q........ :unsure:

The breeder has offered to replace the two that died, and has 2 x 8-10 week olds for me to collect at the weekend (she wasn't sure of their age offhand)

I really, really want them. But is my surviving youngster a carrier do you think, and will infect the new youngsters? I couldn't stand to watch any more die that way so soon  :(
She wasn't vaccinated against myco, none of the 3 were. Yet she never developed any of the secondary infections that her sisters did, which killed them.

What do you think?

hillfooter

Re: New Birds Quandary
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 04:38 »
It's likely your bird will be a carrier if indeed your diagnosis is correct.  If your bird is rattling or has rales as well as the sneezing and /or has yellowish droppings this tends to support the diagnosis.
Why would you want more birds from the same breeder having had such a bad experience anyway?

Regards
Truth through science.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: New Birds Quandary
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 07:26 »
Hi, I agree with hillfooter on this why oh why would you go back to that breeder after the experience you have just had with your birds. You said yourself that two died within 4 days so the breeder must have sold you infected birds, will the rest also be infected? Sorry to sound so negative but if I was you I would go elsewhere. Did you take your birds to a vets? there are many respiratory illnesses and not all are mycoplasma (mine was confirmed with a blood test - luckily she recovered and was never bred from). Joy xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Allotment or garden quandary

Started by ness on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 20:25
by ness
xx
Rabbit Hutch to Chicken Coop - Now a roosting quandary.

Started by FCG on The Hen House

87 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 21:57
by Lindeggs
xx
Feeding the birds (wild birds)

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:41
by mjd
xx
New birds

Started by Des C on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 23, 2007, 10:52
by sorrel

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 39 queries.