Rabbit Hutch to Chicken Coop - Now a roosting quandary.

• 87 Replies

FCG

I hope here to show you folks how my 'attempt' at converting a bargain rabbit hutch into a coop is going on. Got back from hols on saturday and was itching to start on my pet (pardon the pun) project. So far it has cost £40 for the hutch here and hopefully i won't have to buy any other materials to build anything other than some netting/wire for the run.

Here is the album for the photos:
http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/freecyclegardener/hens/

Here are a selection of the photos for you to see:

Now i know i have to build a run and cover the mesh with wood which i'm able to do tomorrow. But what else? I'm going to 'make' some nesting boxes for the top smaller section, should i do the same for the bottom and let them choose where to go? Do i need to add roosting poles?

Finally my major concern is to either have the ramp inside or out. Which would you say is better? And if anyone could please link me to a checklist of everything you need to have before you get the chooks in, that would be extremely handy!

Poultrygeist you had some good advice in my first thread about this Here and i was wondering if you could annotate the photos and show me your suggestions in a more literal way?

Also Porffor, I've decided 3 will be the number i am having instead of 2. Breed, i haven't a clue.

All help is greatly appreciated!

FCG

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 20:13 »
Please help! I really don't know what i might be missing when converting the hutch, i guess knowing what i should be doing initially will be better than having to go back and fix things after i finish.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 20:20 »
Thats one impressive looking hen house. No help but I am in awe. Don't know anything about chooks and am thanking my stars ducks are so unfussy. They would all sleep under the rosemary if I let them. Did think that chickens like to perch to roost rather than sleep in a nest :? . Are you all kitted out with feeders and drinkers etc?

Let us know how you get on, nice to have another Merseysider on the forum :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Porffor

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 20:44 »
I have a perch in my hutch - running from front door to back wall... if that makes sense? My girls lay on the nest area in the former living area.. the former bedroom area has the perch in it. I covered the mesh with wood - so it was more of a 'wall' than just mesh - stop draughts and to allow them to use all the space as they wanted.  And used the mesh for 'cup' style water feeders and for eggshell - you know the large ones like for budgies etc? white with two hooks on them? take up little room but offer water and food if you want. ;) They definately use them so worth considering. :)

not sure if any of this will make sense! lol

P.S. what a bargain your hutch was!! my word. :) we have a double hutch similar to yours for our guinea pigs.. won't tell you what we paid for it!  :?

FCG

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 20:55 »
What would you say i did with the ramp and floorboards? I could take the entire middle floor out and put a perch across at the same level and have a nest box in the bottom at the same side as the partitioned section at the top. Would that be better?

Porffor

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 21:03 »
hmm dunno, as they may poo down into the nest then..
might need advice off someone more experienced ;)
I guess it would make the most of the space, and you wouldn't need the ladder then...

or you could get rid of the 'floor' of the upper level, have perches (2) from front to back in the boarded in section, one high one lower, so they can use the lower one to 'hop' up top.. they like sleeping on the highest perch by all accounts, then have the nest area near the mesh, but without a perch above it.. if that makes sense

or if you still want a perch on the left too, have half the floor with a perch on the left (by the mesh area up top) the half floor being to stop the poo going into the nest...

in both cases i'd look at boxing in the mesh - allowing a tiny bit of ventilation at the top. And get either use the ramp as a hinged 'drop down' door for them, or get a sliding door. ;)
I used the drop down ramp to cover a 'mouse hole' style pop hole for them. :) worked well with a padlock through the top :) normal bolts on the other door.
here's our hutch..  3 hearts is where the perch is, and 1 big heart is the nesting box... mesh was under that part.

ok.. i'm confusing myself! :lol:

FCG

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 21:58 »
Ideally i would like perches in the rectangular part (where the mesh is), with nesting boxes in the smaller square section. The overnight food & drink would be where the perches would be.

Porffor

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 22:45 »
sounds do-able but are you closing in the mesh? just they'll get a chill otherwise.  :?

poultrygeist

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 22:48 »
Hi again.

Bit late. Sorry about that !

I would suggest having the nest box in one half of the lower section, leavign half the upper floor to act as roof of the nest box.

I would then run a perch across the width of the upper hutch just above the level of the upper floor/nestbox roof.

We don't put any night time food or water in the coop but I know it's seen as best practice. Our are out by 6.30am and go in about 9.30pm and don't seem to be stressed for it. However, you could put some either on the nestbox roof next to the perch or at the lower side with a bit of a cover over to keep the droppings out.

For each bird you may need up to 12"/30cm perching space and the perch should be a peice of wood a couple of inches dia with the top flattened a bit, or a batten with the top slightly rounded.

You'll need to raise the whole thing up from the ground by a brick or two to stop rats nesting underneath. That way you won't need the ramp.

Hold off for as long as poss for other variations or adapt to suit what you've already done.
There is no definitive right or wrong but a few guidelines.
You'll need ventilation above their head height but allowing a good flow through, especially when warm. They tend to generate a lot of heat when roosting, but draughts can make them ill.

Hope you can make sense of this and it doesn't hinder you too much. If you see a better way of acheiving something, go for it.

ROb  :D

Porffor

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 22:54 »
Thanks Rob! :) so much clearer.. ;)
we weren't far off.. :)

FCG

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2008, 00:05 »
I'm confused, sorry.

To clarify i have set up the top roof so there is ventilation which is possible to adjust fairly easily. I plan to block the mesh and hang at least water inside the coop. So by my reckoning i should leave whatever of the upper floor is covering the next box/es (Little note, should i have more than one if i am having 3 hens?). Should i have more than one perch pole at the top?
Also would it be ok to use some branches?

I'm also wondering about the size of the pieces of wood that came with it that you use as dividers, would i have to enlarge the hole at all to allow the chickens through?

Finally about the hens themselves, would two golden rockets and a black comet be too much for this construction?

Sorry for all the questions, but i'm told i must get everything right before they can move in.

poultrygeist

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 08:17 »
Hi again.

I would leave a part of the upper floor covering the nest box section so that they can't poo from above and it'll be a darker area. If it's open, they'll not be so inclined to use (I would guess). The only rule is, keep it dark and low.

The perch position is largely a matter of where you fit in, or them, in.

As long as you can get at least a couple a couple of feet length and another foot-ish for the 3. It needs to be off the floor, preferably higher than the nest box, but othewise not golden rules.
If it's too small, it'll be uncomfortable for them to balance on, and too large they won't be able to grip their toes round it. We have a piece of wickes stud batten which has the corners rounded. About 2" across, but if you can use a piece of branch, go for it. All of this is just what we have been told or read and seems to work for ours. If you look around you'll see as many exceptions to the rules as there are rules !  :)

As for openings, it depends on how big the chooks are. No idea on breed sizes but obviously they can't squeeze through too tight a gap (unless you don't want them to! :wink: ).
They tend to do whatever is easiest for them and nearest to what they feel is natural. If they start using a particular area as a nest, you can always re-arrange things how they want.

Good luck with it.

Rob  :)

FCG

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 08:51 »
Now building again!

Making a run, don't know how large it is going to be yet as it depends wholly on how far the wire mesh i have bought (from b&q) stretches. Nearly forgot to add a gate in my plans! I have aquired some metal pins to force under the ground underneath the gate so all is well.

Now, just to get started! I will take some photos of the finished product later today and upload them here for you. I'm buying my first chickens from a very local supplier (less than 10miles away) Here, a black comet and two golden rockets. However i'm tempted by a copper black maran, is this wise?

At least i hope they have pullets of them in stock.

poultrygeist

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 09:31 »
For the run, bear in mind the one square metre/bird rule of thumb. Unless they are very small or you're letting them range for a part of the day.

So you're looking at 3m x 1m or thereabouts.

Rob  :)

FCG

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 17:47 »
I'm letting them range for part of the day, but i'm aiming to make the run a little larger than the minimum so i can expand (I have a cunning plan of having chicks next year under a hopefully broody hen).

Current trials have produced a 3m by 2m run. But i may be able to squeeze out some more length depending on the size of the gate and how much wire mesh is left in the roll to make it possibly 3x3 or 3x4. My parents are not too pleased with the loss off the grass 'lawn' but i just remind them it's a mass of weeds.

The coop is constructed! Thanks for your advice There is a covered nest box, 2 roosting poles (spaced out), the mesh is covered and there is ventilation (above head height) i left the thick wire in so it's safe. Thick wood covering the bottom mesh (even if it doesn't match, grr), inside has only 1/2 the middle floor now.

Taken your advice about the rats nesting underneath, popped it on bricks.
By heck tho i have to dig the blooming ground now for the wire netting.

The dust bath, nest box are half made and i just need to buy what i need now i cant get from the local area outside my gate for free.

Soooo, what do i need to buy? Poultry shield, wood shavings, feeder, straw... but i'ld be buggered if i know for sure what else to buy (yes, layers pellets too)

xx
Converting a two story rabbit hutch into a coop

Started by FCG on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 22:24
by Porffor
xx
Will a rabbit hutch do....

Started by ness on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 01, 2007, 20:59
by Aunt Sally
xx
can i keep quails in a rabbit hutch?

Started by massa on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2010, 16:57
by ehs284
xx
Can I use a Rabbit Hutch as a Hen House?

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

74 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 19:27
by Porffor

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 39 queries.