First Cider

• 4 Replies

Ropster

First Cider
« on: September 14, 2008, 17:01 »
Just spent the day lining up the first Cider of the Autumn, me and the Kids have spent the morning shredding and crushing apples and we have managed 6 gallons of Juice.

Cant wait for it to be ready.

I chucked all of the pulp un the compost heap bus reading here it looks like I could have made more cider with it , can anyone explain how ?

adodman

cider
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 09:08 »
Ordinarily, it takes 16-20lb of apples to produce enough juice for one gallon of cider. The pulp from each gallons worth will make another gallon to drink but of wine.

Essentially, put the pressings into a bucket and add a couple of litres of water and a crushed campden tablet. This will kill off any wild yeasts. Cover and stir for a day or two. Then add pectolase, again leave for a day or two and then strain off a little of the juice and using a hydrometer, measure the sugar content of the juice. Using readily available charts off the internet or from CJJ Berrys winemaking book, add enough sugar to raise the sg to around 1.090. Make sure it it dissolved and then add a yeast starter and ferment on the pulp for a week or so, stirring each day.

Strain through a fine straining bag into demijohns, make up to a gallon,  and ferment to completion. It will need racking a couple of times to remove what settles out but eventually you will end up with something golden and clear. Will need at least six months storage in bulk before bottling.

There are loads of recipes available on the 'net'. I have two gallons in the garage that I made from the apple pulp I had left over from the cider I made last year.

Whatever you do, don't waste the pulp, it will make a lovely wine.

Cheers
Andrew

Ropster

First Cider
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 10:20 »
Excelent

Thanks for the info

the next cider session will be a Cider followed by Wine making session, even more home made booze to beat the credit crunch :-)

Ropster

First Cider
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 12:06 »
Another question
I have the Bin Full (ish) of Pulp, is the water suposed to cover it  ?
also what is pectalase for ? I have never used it in cider where it is to clear the final result and have never had a problem

adodman

First Cider
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 11:41 »
Essentially you need enough water to keep the whole thing 'wet' and mobile. Whilst it is in the bucket you have to stir it up a couple of times a day.

The pectolase will help to stop the formation of a pectin haze, something that will make the wine appear cloudy. Just helps with the appearance of the wine. It is better to add to the must when in the bucket but can be added after you have strained the solid matter out.

Just remember to use a hydrometer to calculate how much sugar you need to add and it might take a while to clear but be patient. I have two gallons bulk conditioning in the garage, I wont bottle them for at least 6 months, maybe a year.

If you are in need of more expert advice then you can register with the messageboard at www.homewinemaking.co.uk

This is a really informative site with some true experts. I am a relative beginner at all this. I haven't made anything I can't drink yet but I'm sure there is time.

Enjoy
Andrew

xx
cider

Started by 2peasinapod on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 15:17
by NigelB
xx
Anyone used a cider kit?

Started by grinling on Homebrew

0 Replies
Last post March 13, 2016, 17:42
by grinling
xx
Cider Kit

Started by MidlandBrewer on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 21:25
by grinling
xx
Cider-Help

Started by Fen on Homebrew

7 Replies
Last post December 05, 2008, 22:21
by Old Whiskers

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 38 queries.