cleaning aluminium greenhouse

• 7 Replies

makedoandmend

cleaning aluminium greenhouse
« on: May 03, 2011, 20:06 »
Folks,

I have been given an 8' x 6' greenhouse -complete, but I am having great difficulty removing silicone, decorating caulk and all sorts of other goo that has been used to hold glass in.

I know it's a long shot, but has anyone any suggestions as to how I can clean it up with more efficacy? :wub: I've done the powerwashing and my fingers are sore with picking and scrubbing! :wacko:

Thanks

Trillium

Re: cleaning aluminium greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 05:28 »
I have an older chisel that I keep for scraping off caulk and silicone. The wedged edge is perfect for getting under the silicone to scrape off most, same with caulk. Some paint thinner or turps on a bit of cloth should remove the remaining film, or at least loosen it more for further scraping.

If you don't have a chisel, it would be worth buying a cheap one as I use it for many other jobs, like scraping off slopped paint, trimming window putty, etc.

Plottered

• Still on the same list!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 07:52 »
theres a solvent available for dissolving silicone which worked for me when i re-tiled the bathroom, sorry but i cant remember what it was called but got it from been and queued.
R.I.P Bobby Smiler Smith......love you always little fella.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:57 »
You have my sympathy as I did this with some delapidated greenhouses which had disappeared under years of undergrowth and getting out all the gunk and brambles which had twined themselves in and around the frame was a long and painstaking job. I ended up burning my face with Jeyes Fluid which I allowed to drip onto me as I was cleaning, so do take care, unlike me  :D  I had a purple streaked face for a week! 

I find that nail varnish remover dissolved the silicone somewhat  :)  You can get a proper remover liquid from SCREWFIX apparently.

Good luck

Lardman

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 09:51 »
Silicone Eater is frankly useless.  The chemicals out there sold to remove it seem to only remove a very thin film.

If its Flexible goo I find a large semi flexible knife ( cheap 7" kitchen knife) the best thing to cut chunks away. You might then see if a little petrol softens whats left.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 12:05 »

Once a skin of corrosion (patina) ?  has formed on aluminium it prevents futher corrosion from forming so by cleaning this off you will only cause more to form.  I would stop at a good washdown.  Cheers,   Tony
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 10:12 »
A Stanley knife blade to slice off as much as you can, flush with the surface then drag it down the slots through the remaining silicone and sort of leaver it out bit by bit.  It can be a * of a job, but well worth doing.

One word of advice, avoid using a wire brush, an aluminium frame forms a layer of aluminium oxide over time which forms a natural barrier to corrosion so you'll want to leave this as intact as possible!

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 11:05 »
I treated myself to an extendable window cleaner from B*ett**re yesterday as my greenhouse is surrounded by soil instead of paths so I have nowhere secure to fix a ladder to clean the glass.  It worked a treat and I now have lovely clean glass and even the hard to reach lights are clear of bird muck and detritus.  I plan to lay slabs around them to make life easier for me

xx
Cheap aluminium greenhouse

Started by hubballi on Design and Construction

19 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 13:24
by Aidy
xx
building an aluminium greenhouse with no instructions?

Started by Totty on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 18:34
by Totty
xx
Anybody have an Eden Greenhouse by Monarch Aluminium

Started by argonaut on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 15:10
by argonaut
xx
Can you alter the size of an aluminium greenhouse?

Started by fluffypebble on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post February 23, 2007, 20:12
by muntjac

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 39 queries.