forkhandles

• 10 Replies

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
forkhandles
« on: January 13, 2014, 19:13 »
Ahem...  :tongue2:

Leeks... didn't do too well for me last year - most just didn't seem to 'get going'.
So, I get them to 'pencil size' (if I'm lucky) then transplant into a hole and water in... but...
I've seen some conflicting information about how big the hole should be - is an old fork/spade handle the right sort of size or is that too big - and how deep should the hole be? Then, do you earth up to aid blanching?

Cheers,
Balders

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
Re: forkhandles
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 19:36 »
Handle is correct size. Last year my leeks grew to 3mm thickness and I only used a normal dibber for the holes.. some of them grew to 2" diameter!!

If you use soil to earth up it will get into the leaves so rather use pvc piping to blanch them.. I dont bother and eat them how nature intended.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

cadalot

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 19:38 »
Fork Handles

oaGpaj2nHIo

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 19:40 »
Darn it, you got there quicker!!!

And there was me thinking you meant this?

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 19:44 »
Hah....

I set 'em up  :D

Thanks for the info gjc

Cheers,
Balders

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 19:44 »
Experts will let you know the right way but I use something about the size of a big forkhandle (or was four candles) and push it in as far as will go on my plot which I guess is about 6 inches.  As long as the top of the leek is above the ground then I don't bother too much.  My leeks rarely get to pencil size before I transplant them but they seem to grow OK.  I don't earth up but use "loo rolls" round them to help blanching but the centres seem to be getting smaller lately, I have some drainage pipe that I got off freecycle that I will use this year.  By the way I have sown some leek seed in a propogator this week to see if I can get them growing bigger and stronger than previously, you get so many seeds in a packet in doesn't matter if it doesn't work.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 21:08 »
One of my spade handles broke off at the metal blade so I now use that to push in a hole about 6" deep (15cm), drop in the leek transplant, and water. Don't fill in the hole, over time nature will do that for you.

ididntdoit

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 22:44 »
Yes the centres of toilet rolls are getting smaller for many brands. If you still want the larger ones try the own brands at Aldi, they do their intended job just as well as the expensive brands but the centres are the original ideal width!

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:21 »
After I couldn't find my dibber last year, I used a trowel by inserting it and turning it round to make the hole. I haven't noticed any diffenece TBH. I always sow my leek seeds in small pots (about nine to a pot) then thin out at the 3 leaf stage (just after the "crook stage") into a bigger pot - same number per pot and use liquid feed at about a month later. They do fatten up, and I achieved a reasonable thickness to plant out, though they weren't  as thick as in previous years. Having harvested some, they have a good length of white stem and a decent thickness. Tornado, I think.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

grendel

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 12:33 »
I use the handle of my rake, as it saves bending, dig the bed, rake the bed, then poke holes with the rake handle - no bending.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Ashurstman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 13:35 »
I use the handle of my rake, as it saves bending, dig the bed, rake the bed, then poke holes with the rake handle - no bending.
Grendel
Thought I was the only one who did that! Taught the trick by my grandfather who reckoned he had been taught it by his uncle.

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 28 queries.