What to do about Dotty

• 5 Replies

Ema

What to do about Dotty
« on: July 14, 2019, 07:43 »
My most reserved chicken Dotty is having a sex change.

She’s still laying but crowing every morning for hours, her comb has also grown a little longer.

I’ve had them since March so they are possibly 6-7 months old now.

If I throw some food in the run to put them away the other 3 run in and Dotty runs around the back and eventually goes in shes quite bazar.

It must be very stressful for her is there anything I can do?

Have thought about getting a rooster but don’t want to risk getting one that’s aggressive
F720E7E1-0F25-4E92-A5F9-E35A2A252AE8.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: What to do about Dotty
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 10:55 »
If Dotty is laying still, she is not that stressed, but I guess the crowing and other odd behaviour is not to be encouraged.

if you get a rooster, you can choose one that is fairly mature and so can judge his temperament to an extent.  There are always loads on offer on Preloved and Pets4homes, but the dynamic can change once they move to a new flock.  If Dotty takes him on, there could be quite a bit of aggression and he may also crow for hours every morning, so you will have 2 of them at it.

It might be a temporary thing as it is breeding season and so Dotty is a bit more hormonal than usual.  I would give her some time and see how she goes.  Distractions like scatter feed in the garden when they are out might help with the crowing.  I use finch food or budgie tonic mix, which are both lots of tiny little seeds.  I would also use the usual stuff when they are in the run, like hanging up greens to peck or offering an apple cut in half.

I don't think there is much more you could do to help her really .

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 09:35 »
Ema, from what I have learned is that there are two main reasons for this to happen.

Although she has 2 ovaries, only one of them is working. When this ovary, for example, gets infected (inflammation) hormone production can get confused. The other ovary might start working after some time, but the balance of hormones produced by that ovary is different, so change of behavior (or male dominant features and behavior) can occur.
Since she is still laying, I hope there is no infection.
If an infection on her ovary is the cause of this, then the behavior might be least of your problems.

Maybe a good vet can help you out, finding out if there is an infection?

The other reason could be that there is need for a male in the group.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 13:57 »
Sooty makes strangled crowing sounds occaisionly. It does stop.
Might be good to check that the feed hasn't got wet.

Ema

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2020, 10:54 »
Gosh I cant believe I never replied to everyone!

Dotty is doing well, still has a good crow most mornings and I am getting 3-4 eggs each day from the 4 girls so shes still laying.

She is the most difficult to round up, pick up or general predict her next move.

We've not gone and got a cockerel as this would upset our neighbour

grinling

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2020, 21:42 »
If you find ants eggs or woodlice, chuck them to the hens and see if she clucks at them. Sooty does this as well as crowing type noise sometimes as well as screeching at flies

xx
Dotty's first chicks

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post May 23, 2012, 09:57
by j00les
xx
Dotty has hatched some turkey eggs

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

139 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 15:53
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 46 queries.