Encouragement

• 6 Replies

retribution

Encouragement
« on: January 16, 2011, 15:00 »
Is there anything that i can do or give the girls to not just run off whenever i go near them, only had them 1 week and i am sure they have not forgiven me for the trip to the vet yet. i know this may just take time for them to get used to me but was just wondering if there is anything i can do or give them to help.

PaulineM

Re: Encouragement
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 15:30 »
Hi
I have only had my girls from August so I'm not the most experienced.
It depends on their breeds and also their personalities.
My brown hens will come to anyone but my other five won't, a few of them will eat out of my hand though!
Sit down as low as you can get (so you don't look too threatening) stay still and quiet but have a few treats in your hand, try to encourage them to come close and then eventually you might be able to stroke them etc.
Good luck  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

retribution

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 16:29 »
thanks, they dont seem to mind a stroke once they are in there coop but just when they are running about

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 17:10 »
If you give treats at the same time each day (the general advice seems to be about one hour before they go in to roost) and use the same container they will soon come running when they see you  :) 

If search through the topic threads there was one a little while ago about this.

Gooc Luck!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 17:34 »
When I first got my girls I put an old plastic gardening stool in the run so I could sit down with a cup of tea. In time they got used to me being there and would peck my clothes/boots etc. In the afternoon when they get their mash with treats I tap the container as I come up the path and they rush to the door of the run to see what they are going to get. If they smell any grapes they will actually fly up to the dish in my hands! Now they are always under my feet!!!

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 17:07 »
Mealworms should help, although I havent really had that problem.  Mine only need to hear my voice or the kitchen light going on and they are at the back door shouting at me. Greedy girls  :D  :D

Debsie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 17:46 »
mine hear the kitchen door open and they start shouting, if they are out in the garden and see me with a bowl I get mobbed!!

xx
laying encouragement...

Started by mickwood on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 18:30
by FCG
xx
Should I give up (hoping for some encouragement)...

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 16:21
by nerdle

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 38 queries.