Picture of Bianca and chicks

• 5 Replies

bantam novice

« on: April 28, 2011, 21:40 »
I went to check on broody Bianca and her chick today.  There was still a chance that some of the other eggs would hatch out so I had left them.  I noticed that there was a little bit of shell on the floor of the coop.

Mother broody went out of the coop with chick and as I checked I saw that one of the other eggs was hatching and the chick was struggling.  The membrane was very dry.

I just could not watch this little chick struggle so I helped it out of the shell but mother broody was not in the least bit interested and stayed outside.  I backed off and watched for ten minutes and she still didn't go in.

I thought that I needed to keep the chick warm so I put it under my tee shirt to carry it in to the house and found it a little box with some chick crumbs and water in the hot cupboard where it was warm under the water tank.

I have just placed it back under the broody.  It is still weak but it needs to be there.  Bianca accepted it and at least it is warm.  I am keeping everything crossed that it survives but I'm not very hopeful.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

bantam novice

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 13:14 »
Well the chick lasted the night and Bianca now has two to look after.  The picture is rather fuzzy, I'm afraid but it was taken on my mobile.  I will need to try later with my camera.
Image0096.jpg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Picture of Bianca and chicks
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 13:49 »
glad she has accepted the other chick and hopefully now it will go from strength to strength (have merged both topics by the way  :D).
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 15:22 »
Lovely pic, glad the second chic lasted the night. Very cute.

PaulineM

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 18:20 »
Lovely story, just shows you shouldn't give up to early with unhatched eggs, how far apart where they?
Well done on keeping the new one warm, its a tough call as to whether to interfere or not, so well done. Keep the pictures coming  :)
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 19:42 »
The first chick hatched out on Easter Monday and the second hatched out yesterday.  They were three days apart and Bianca had been sitting on the eggs since the evening of 2nd April which makes it day 25 of sitting.

Although it was a little wobbly to begin with the chick has been getting stronger all day and is already running around with its sibling chick.  Bianca is being a good mum and it is lovely to watch her teaching them and the different sounds she makes for different things.  There's the "food" sound, the "happy" sound, the "alert" sound and many others.

xx
Bianca and chicks - pic

Started by bantam novice on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 21:17
by bantam novice
xx
Broody Bianca

Started by bantam novice on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 21:21
by bantam novice
xx
I would like to introduce you all to my 'ladies' (without a picture, yet!)

Started by ginaclements on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 16:05
by daisy1990
xx
First taste of freedom + picture

Started by carolbriar on Chicken Chat

9 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 18:58
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 39 queries.