sweetcorn not ripening

• 14 Replies

alan/gill

sweetcorn not ripening
« on: October 12, 2015, 15:31 »
Hi all,this year my sweetcorn has not ripened,i was about to pull them all out but then as a last bit of hope i thought i would post on here to ask if theirs anything i can do to ripen them....thanks

snowdrops

Re: sweetcorn not ripening
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 16:10 »
Mines the same, I think mine didn't pollinate,as I recall it was rather windy when the tassels appeared
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 16:11 »
Not ripened or not pollinated?

Are there full sized kernels on the cobs when you peel the sheath back or are they more or less absent?

Mine were extremely late this year due to the poor summer weather and I feared the worst (sweet corn is my favourite crop!)

I only started picking them a few weeks ago and some of them haven't ripened and are very unlikely to do so now, although those that did were delicious!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 16:30 »
Not been a good year for me either. planted about 40 plants and got about 2 meals worth. Flavour wonderful but not the harvest. There's next year when we will get weeks and weeks of glorious sunshine!!
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 16:43 »
Definitely not pollinated in my case,only one or two of the kernels are large on the ones I've looked in.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 17:00 »
Definitely not pollinated in my case,only one or two of the kernels are large on the ones I've looked in.

Same here - very disappointing this year.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 11:24 »
My out-door ones finally ripened enough last week to harvest some but they weren't fully pollinated, so we cut the bare ends off some and gave the rest to the geese. As my greenhouse ones ripened over a month ago and were fully-pollinated, I think it must be mainly the lack of a good hot spell at the right time as we had no real winds to prevent the pollen getting down onto the potential cobs.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 11:53 »
I was away last week so had to somehow find room for about a dozen cobs in the freezer (still in their sheaths - not done this before so don't know how well they take to that treatment.  :unsure:)

Went back up the garden yesterday to see if there was anything else salvageable - several had watery small kernels which no doubt failed to develop properly due to the cold, and a few were tough and over-ripe, but I did find one in surprisingly good condition for this time of year.

Pic attached - as you can imagine it didn't last much longer after posing for its picture!  :lol:
STA70055.JPG

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 20:19 »
I was away last week so had to somehow find room for about a dozen cobs in the freezer (still in their sheaths - not done this before so don't know how well they take to that treatment.  :unsure:)

Went back up the garden yesterday to see if there was anything else salvageable - several had watery small kernels which no doubt failed to develop properly due to the cold, and a few were tough and over-ripe, but I did find one in surprisingly good condition for this time of year.

Pic attached - as you can imagine it didn't last much longer after posing for its picture!  :lol:

They do well like that JayG - I always do mine like it. Take them out about 5 - 10 mins before you need them, strip them (while cursing that they are making your hands go cold) straight into boiling water for a couple of minutes and it is almost like they are straight from the plant! They do much better frozen in their leaves than without I found - more protected I think

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 23:00 »
Thanks for the tip RJR - found a couple more good fresh ones on the plants this afternoon so the frozen ones can stay there a bit longer (but not that much longer of course!  ;))

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 19:37 »
i harvested what pitiful crop i had. none were as long as they should have been and some plants had zero cobs. i did have plump kernels but none were a proper yellow. i hand pollinated them after last years disaster, but, on the compost heap again i'm afraid.

honeymelon

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 21:38 »
Upthetump: did you plant them out too late? when did you sow them?

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 09:37 »
My second sowing hasn't ripened either, nice full cobs but pale and with small kernels.
My early sowing seemed to be cold affected so I did a second sowing. The first sowing recovered and produced good full cobs, but a little small, the second sowing though bigger cobs, just hasn't had enough sun.
Another year I might have got away with it.
Anne

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 13:31 »
Upthetump: did you plant them out too late? when did you sow them?

i started then in the greenhouse in april and planted them out in june, i shook all the pollen out when they flowered, i think the very cold summer weather did for them, some days were 16C in august

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 15:11 »
You did everything right, so the weather would appear to be the main factor in play.  How disappointing for you  :(

Its been a difficult year for a lot of people with some of the more weather sensitive crops like sweetcorn, squash and tomatoes. 

xx
Ripening sweetcorn?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2011, 19:39
by DD.
xx
ripening pumpkins

Started by grinling on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 23:08
by Salmo
xx
Ripening Melons

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post November 25, 2013, 16:02
by LilacSandy
xx
Ripening Pumpkins

Started by Limey153 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 20:10
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.38 seconds with 40 queries.