Chillies in the greenhouse- not hot?

• 19 Replies

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
Chillies in the greenhouse- not hot?
« on: August 30, 2011, 10:28 »
Growing five different types of chilli in the greenhouse- Jalapeno, Romano, Friggitello, Red Cherry and Hungarian Hot Wax. I understand Romano and Friggitello are sweet chillies, does this mean they wouldn't have any heat to them?
Mainly my query is that we've tried both the Jalapeno and the Hot Wax and neither of them are very hot or taste of much. I read elsewhere on the forum to try not feeding them or water them too much but nothing really changing apart from they now look a little wilted and a couple of the Jalapenos are turning a black colour (not as in rotting, just the skin).
All of the chillies are green at the moment, apart from the Hot Wax which is a greeny yellow colour. Do they change colour the longer they are on the plant? And do we need to leave them longer before they gain any heat?
Confused!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Chillies in the greenhouse- not hot?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 16:05 »
The turning black is them starting to ripen to red - in the case of Jalapeno anyway. They'll do this on the plant or off if you pick them, but they won't get any hotter. Maybe you have been too kind to them and fed or watered them more than they needed.  ::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 13:07 »
What a nuisance! Didn't realise feeding and watering was to be kept to a minimum- now I have a ton of tasteless chillies!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 17:55 »
Are you using the whole chiili Babystar?  A lot of the heat is in the seeds and white pith surrounding them so if you use the lot it would make for a hotter resulting dish  :)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 07:11 »
I must have treated my mean, as i must have picked my nose and went to wee after cutting the chillies for dinner. Ouch Ouch Ouch  :wacko:.
Thanks
Kris

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 07:13 »
You'll remember next time Kris!  :D

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 08:17 »
The Hungarian Hot Wax is probably named because it looks like a melting candle , i`ve always found them to be very mild.

A good hot summer generally gives hot peppers, so don`t expect too much this year.

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 10:14 »
Finding a couple of the hot wax to be hotter than the first couple we tried, and the red cherry (which are currently green!). We started them at the latest possible planting time so maybe they are a little young still, although the friggitello tend to get pretty huge!
Just been using the skin, taking the seeds out so will probably just chuck the whole thing in next time!
Out of interest, is it possible to retain the seeds for planting next year? Would they just need to be dried out?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 10:25 »
Yes, you certainly can save chilli seeds; make sure the pod you choose is fully ripe and of good quality, and make sure the seeds are well dried out before storing in a cool dry place in a paper bag or envelope.

There is a risk that the seeds won't grow true; although chillies are self-fertile you don't know what insects have been visiting your different varieties and chillies will readily cross-pollinate given half a chance!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 10:42 »
and if they are an f1 variety they wouldn't be the same as their parent ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 11:22 »
and if they are an f1 variety they wouldn't be the same as their parent ;)

Oh yes! (fer fer fer got about the F1 factor!)  :wub:

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 12:37 »
What's F1?!
Does cross pollination not produce good results? Or could I create a new type of chilli?!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 13:14 »
F1 varieties are those bred from cross pollination of 2 other varieties which results in a particular type of plant. It should be labelled f1 on the packet.This variety can only be achieved by crossing the same 2 varieties each time.
If you try to grow seed from the f1 the result would not be exactly the same as the parent..it could be better it could be worse...but deffo different ;)

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 12:43 »
The not watering tip seemed to work for me... the first (green) chilli I picked seemed quite mild, so I cut back the watering to once a week for the chillis, and moved them to the top of the greenhouse in a hanging basket.... the next (green) chilli I picked, I had a nibble at but it still seemed mild, so I very foolishly put the whole thing in my mouth  :ohmy: :blink: and was still glugging milk an hour later!

Now the chillis have ripened to a beautiful orange-yellow colour (they are orange cheyenne, I think).

Edited to correct variety :)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 10:03 by lazza »

BabyStar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 13:15 »
I had a nibble at but it still seemed mild, so I very foolishly put the whole thing in my mouth  :ohmy: :blink: and was still glugging milk an hour later!

:lol:
Haven't had an experience like that but think the non-watering is working for us as well!

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 41 queries.