It is so cold!

• 4 Replies

carolbriar

It is so cold!
« on: December 25, 2010, 18:01 »
Our poor hens have not seen the temperature above 0c for 9 days now.  The last few days haven't gone above -10c during the day and it has been between -14c and -17c at night. I have been giving them warm mash in the mornings with a bit of corn in it and then although they have layers pellets ad lib I have just been giving them corn to keep them warm (hopefully). They haven't been laying for a while so decided I would rather see them having extra corn than just layers.  I have to go out several times a day to give them more water as it just freezes.  I just hope it warms up soon! :(
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
Re: It is so cold!
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 10:46 »
I feel your pain carolbriar!  We have burst pipes on the mains but Utilities refuse to fix them as they keep telling us it might be our stop tap.  As we live in the sticks and can see the burst water frozen in a mound on the lane, my OH a plumber knows this is not right.  Also all our pipes are underground and it is causing major problems, not least for my four little girls.  I like you go out several times a day to top up water or break the ice and now with no water at all I am feeling very concerned about how I am going to keep my children and chickens in fresh water. :(  Roll on the thaw.   >:( 

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 10:56 »
Tigerwren, it makes my low temperatures feel so insignificant compared to your problems.  No water would be a nightmare.  I really hope that its possible to get it sorted very, very soon.  Last night our temperatures rose to above freezing at last.  The wind has picked up and we are due a lot of rain.  We live in the country and so far have hardly been able to get out with our roads being so bad.  I am hoping that if the rain comes and thaws the snow we might be able to get about more. 
I really hope that the thaw comes to you soon.  Thinking of you and your family. :(

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:06 »
Hi Carolbriar, thanks, much appreciated!  We have now got a bucket of water from neighbours so at least dogs and chickens have fresh water!! i am just hoping that we get proper water soon - fingers crossed!  Just noticed that you are from Tyrone - I'm originally from Omagh - small world ;)  My dad is heading back up to Omagh tomorrow from just outside Dublin where he has spent Christmas with my sister - I hope your roads are clear!

carolbriar

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 12:47 »
Hi Tigerwren, glad to hear you have at least got water now.  We live just outside Omagh and yes, the thaw has come at long last.  Our back road still needs a bit of care but the main roads are all clear.  My hens are finally enjoying having some greenery now the snow has started going.  I hope this warmer weather stays for a while. 

Do hope you get your water back on soon. :)

xx
In the cold weather(Winter?) Do you allow your chickens out of there coop?

Started by Craigx on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post November 02, 2012, 09:44
by Springlands

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 38 queries.