Bread Makers

• 64 Replies

MoreWhisky

Bread Makers
« on: January 11, 2010, 16:16 »
Reading this forum have noticed lots of people have a breadmaker.  with the price of bread going through the roof i now want one  ;)

I generally do some research on things before i buy one , so any helpfull comments would be great. Im not going to spend loads would really like one around the £50 mark.

Any models to stay clear of?
Models that bake perfect everytime?
Any features that are a must have?
Anything think i should know?

Cheers MW.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Re: Bread Makers
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 17:04 »
I have a Morphy Richards now for years and found it to be very good. Each week I make the pizza dough in it for my home made pizzas. Also the individual packet flavoured flour is good, I make into dough and bake in oven. Now you can get the ones that bake a long loaf rather then an upright one. It is worth spending the extra if you want jam making settings or to make cakes etc. Wouldnt be without mine. Worth putting a Wanted on Freecycle and see if you can get one for nothing as many sit in the back of cupboards as people never got the hang of them. You can get some very good recipie books for breadmakers now too. Is a bit addictive at first but I would not be without mine! :D
mrs.ploppy

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 17:59 »
Mine was a freecycle one 3 years ago, but it's on its last legs now :(
 I'll have to replace it soon and I will get one of those where the mixing paddle drops out of the way before it bakes the loaf. (sorry can't remember which make that is :blink: )
I hate the hole i get in the bottom of loaves because the paddle in mine gets stuck a lot... drives me crackers :mad:, I'm only using it on dough settings now and baking in oven...that way I get a normal shaped loaf :)
But they are deffo worth having I think :)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 18:08 »
Yes thanks i will make sure the paddle moves out the way as i dont fancy a hole in mine either mumofstig.

Mrs.ploppy says hers makes jam to, didnt know they could do that. Do they make good jam? As (hopefully) will have lots more jam ingredients again this yr  ;). I might just pay extra for a model that makes jam if hear good things about this feature.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 18:29 »
Ours is a Breville Baker's Oven compact breadmaker. It has done some sterling work for us, but unfortunately the inner tin is somewhat bashed now and a recent enquiry to Breville about replacing the tin returned the answer that this machine is obsolete, so we'll have to buy a new machine. :(
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 19:28 »
Can someone please tell me why you need 'automatic ingredients dispenser' on some of the more expensive models please?

Poolfield2

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 19:43 »
If you like loaves with dried fruit or nuts or seeds in, they can't go in at the beginning as they end up mashed so all machines? beep to tell you when to add them but if you will not be there at right moment it is helpful

I am on machine number 3 as I have worn the others out. Until now I've bought the cheapest I could find and they have been fine but I now have a Panasonic which do seem to have the best reputation and it copes much better with a cold kitchen.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 19:46 by Poolfield2 »

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 19:48 »
My old m/c does not have a jam setting but some do.  I think in general you get what you pay for and when mine does give up, I shall be buying a dogs whatsist one!

MoreWhisky

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 19:54 »
Im actually thinking of buying this one , to see how i get on with a bread maker
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4233419/Trail/searchtext%3EBREADMAKER.htm

hamstergbert

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 20:12 »
My Morphy Richards one is brill. Had it about seven or so years.
Sadly lost the recipe book so now use one photocopied from a friend (with a different machine) and it seems to work well.  Rather reassured to see that lots of you use 'em - I was starting to think I was the only one whose breadmaker wasn't stuffed into some cupboard and festooned with cobwebs!

I have got into the habit of using two thirds white and one third wholemeal in all my standard loaves.  Works for me.

Like MumofStig I wish the thing didnt make a big hole in the bottom (ooh matron)  but let's face it, a fresh home baked with a hole still beats the bejayzus out of a standard shop bought without!

The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 20:43 »
Im actually thinking of buying this one , to see how i get on with a bread maker
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4233419/Trail/searchtext%3EBREADMAKER.htm

It's the £73 one that has the drop down paddle :) so maybe you are best to try the cheaper model. But I bet you'll like it :D

Poolfield2

MoreWhisky

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 21:10 »
Ah thanks mumofstig i forgot about the drop down paddle thing. been thinking i really dont want holley bread it will spoil my sandwiches for lunch.

Havent really got a spare £73 tho ( might have to wait longer, i think a big hole in the bottom would anoy me everytime.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 21:12 »
Have you seen this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PANASONIC-BREAD-MAKER-SD-254_W0QQitemZ250559518833QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HGKitchen_SmallApp_RL?hash=item3a5682d871

Wonder what happened to the blade and how much one would cost? thanks Poolfield but think will give it a miss.

Brambles

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 21:20 »
I was lucky enough to be given a Panasonic Breadmaker two years ago as a present from one of my sons and his partner, they have used the same make of breadmaker daily for years...  I would not be without mine....   I make a large loaf every other day, set it before bedtime to be ready with a delish loaf warm for breakfast... and the smell through the house as we wake is lovely.

I do have a hole in the base of my loaves where the paddle is, I keep a pair of tweezers in the kitchen just for the purpose of pulling out the paddle from my loaves.   That really is not a problem!

For an everyday loaf I use half and half of wholemeal and white strong flour and put in linseeds and sunflower seeds as an extra...  very healthy and much tastier bread than the local supermarket.

xx
Yogurt makers

Started by sclarke624 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 06, 2008, 23:34
by compostqueen
xx
ice cream makers out there any one tried non dairy?

Started by Madame Cholet on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

27 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 18:20
by Mrs Bee
xx
Bought bread tears, my bread crumbles, why?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 19:53
by Scribbler
xx
Bread , oil

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post June 12, 2020, 10:47
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 34 queries.