Frost and runners

• 13 Replies

rogertb

• Experienced Member
Frost and runners
« on: April 18, 2021, 19:01 »
Sorry, probably a well asked question but some advice please ... ok I maybe put some runners in loo roll tubes a bit early so they’re getting a bit high (10”) I’m in Bexhill but frosts are predicted for at least a week do I just hang on before attempting to plant them out ? thanks from the over-optimistic one .... I have spotted plenty of plants on offer in local shops though !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Frost and runners
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2021, 19:46 »
Yes, they are frost sensitive so definitely don't put them out yet.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2021, 19:54 »
Not just frost sensitive they don't like cold nights at all - I don't even think about planting them out 'til mid-May. Some of the 'old boys' plant them the first week in May, but they wrap polythene round the cane rows to keep them warmer inside their 'tent'  :D

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 20:24 »
Saw someone planting out some leggy courgettes on our site today. Given there’s a frost forecast tonight, seems pretty likely they’ll be dead by tomorrow :(

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 20:33 »
If they get too long try chopping the top off down to a pair of leaves or two, I did that one year when I was late planting them for one reason or another, they’d tangled round each other & I couldn’t untangle them, they were some of the best beans I’ve had :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 06:29 »
That's actually a very good idea, Snows!

Might work also with cordon tomatoes - it does with cucumbers - the latter need to be asked not to die beforehand of course!

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 07:15 »
Excellent advice as ever thanks chaps ...

rogertb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 14:23 »
Here they are, too big ?
image.jpg
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 14:25 by rogertb »

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 18:22 »
Here they are, too big ?
Nothing wrong with them , fine sturdy plants !

cc

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2021, 22:38 »
Am I reading this right?
If your beans are getting to tall you can snip them down to the lowest leaves?
I am growing Borlotti, climbing purple bean, cobra and Haricot.
The Borlotti and the purple beans were first by a fair bit to pop up. I am leaving a fair bit between potting the seeds.  so I was thinking of just binning those that are too far ahead. Weather forecast (Lincolnshire) night time temperatures below 4 degrees for the next seven days.  As I am rural they could be much lower.
So just cut them back to above the bottom 2 leaves?
As an aside what is an appropriate temperature to plant out?
Thanks cc

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 07:03 »
The idea is to buy yourself some time by snipping off the main growing shoot - this will force the plant to produce two new shoots from in between the first leaves and the main stem.

By the time the plants start getting unwieldy again, hopefully the temperatures will be warm enough to plant them out (after hardening them off.)

You still need some luck - any frost will kill them outright, and the further the temperature drops below around 10C the more they will sulk (I won't even be sowing my runners for another week as most years it's too risky to plant out before the very end of May here.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

cc

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 11:08 »
The idea is to buy yourself some time by snipping off the main growing shoot - this will force the plant to produce two new shoots from in between the first leaves and the main stem.

By the time the plants start getting unwieldy again, hopefully the temperatures will be warm enough to plant them out (after hardening them off.)

You still need some luck - any frost will kill them outright, and the further the temperature drops below around 10C the more they will sulk (I won't even be sowing my runners for another week as most years it's too risky to plant out before the very end of May here.)

I have just had a stunning brainstorming idea. Put cane in the pot and make them grow up it.  Am I a  genius....or a numpty?

Nobbie

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 11:53 »

I have just had a stunning brainstorming idea. Put cane in the pot and make them grow up it.  Am I a  genius....or a numpty?
You’re a genius until you take your eye out with the top of the cane and then you’re a numpty :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 13:13 »
LOL!!!!!

xx
Rooted strawberry runners sending out runners.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2018, 19:42
by Tracybutton
xx
strawberry runners from runners, any good to use?

Started by fizz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2018, 14:46
by Kleftiwallah
xx
strawberry runners on runners now what do i do

Started by darrenwest1 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 18:24
by darrenwest1
xx
Runners on the run

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 26, 2014, 18:45
by rookie1

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 51 queries.