Bit of spud growing advice please

• 11 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Bit of spud growing advice please
« on: July 29, 2011, 08:45 »
Whether i'm mad or not i don't know but i'm attempting Christmas spuds this year. I've only grown spuds in bags before but this time they are in the open plot. I got my seed spuds and planted them roughly 14/15" apart in rows 18" apart. I added some MP compost in the bottom of the trench along with a liberal supply of FBB. I earthed them up straightaway (may have committed first foul there) and watered them in well. I watered the ridges again 3 days later and i'm wondering how often i need to water them initially. I don't want them rotting in the ground. The weather here is warmish and dryish at the moment so any water is what i'm adding.... Thanks for any advice. BTW i'm growing Charlotte and Orla...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Bit of spud growing advice please
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:49 »
Think about how you are going to protect them once the winter frosts start, bearing in mind we had snow in December last year  :unsure:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 08:52 »
Mum's right - they're going to need a lot of protection.

Most folk tend to grow them in containers which can be more easily protected or moved to shelter.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:56 »
I did wonder about cold protection but they both say you can harvest from October. If this IS the case and they don't last until Christmas then 'what the hey' but i'm going to try. As for my real query, have i planted them sort of right and is the watering about right? too much/little?? Thanks for the replies as well MOS and DD.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:00 »
October is not really that far away and I doubt you'd have much of a crop by then.

In any case - it's not really Christmas, which is what you said you were aiming for!

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 09:04 »
October is not really that far away and I doubt you'd have much of a crop by then.

In any case - it's not really Christmas, which is what you said you were aiming for!
I know Dave!! We'll see! Now, as for the planting....? am i about right?

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 09:12 »
I don't know about anyone else but they shouldn't need watering. You want them to find their own water. I haven't & never water my potatoes & my 1st earlies -rocket- are very big.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 09:15 »
Spacings about right, I never earth up initially, I like the leaves to come out ASAP and start doing their job.

I'd just leave them now to do their own thing and plan how you're going to protect them.

Don't forget that being outside at this time of year, they'll be suspectable to blight once they come through.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 09:24 »
I haven't & never water my potatoes & my 1st earlies -rocket- are very big.

but you don't grow them in the very dry south-east corner, do you  ::)

I only water when the soil is dry a couple of inches below the surface, sometimes it looks dry but is moist underneath.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 09:49 »
Well no, I grow them in Burbage where I live,the commute would be to far :D But it has been very dry here as well. When I've dug them out it's been dry all the way down.

Chrysalis

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 10:40 »
For what it's worth (not much, probably ;)), I've planted charlottes and maris peer in baskets in the last few weeks.  Some I earthed up straight away and others not yet.  All have come through already  :) 
I expect to harvest around the end of October/November and may be able to keep a few for Christmas.  I will be protecting them with fleece if the cold comes early....  We are quite sheltered and the baskets are deep so the soil remains warm.  Our first venture into spuds, but very successful so far this year.  Good luck!

dicci

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 22:46 »
I've bought some tubers today too, thought I'd give it a go. After all, if it doesn't work I've only wasted a couple of quid..
     I'm going to grow mine in bags though, then when the cold comes I can get them into the greenhouse with some fleece round them.
     Experimenting is half the fun of it, it's always worth a go...good luck, and let us know how you get on.

xx
Spud advice (again!) please!

Started by hectic on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 23, 2009, 12:00
by Salmo
xx
Spud-growing competition - help needed

Started by Oscar Too on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 18, 2009, 13:00
by Oscar Too
xx
Spud planting advice

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 10:50
by rookie1
xx
Spud Advice Required

Started by SalB on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 27, 2008, 11:51
by gregmcalister

Page created in 0.408 seconds with 40 queries.