Ants in the bed

• 12 Replies

Trebor

• Experienced Member
Ants in the bed
« on: March 19, 2009, 11:13 »
I did a bit of hand weeding at the weekend and unearthed an ant nest. What’s the general view on ants in the allotment, should I leave them or ‘encourage’ them to leave? From what I have read they seem to get rid of bugs, but also farm aphids - they are in with the beans at the moment.

Lardman

Re: Ants in the bed
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2009, 11:20 »
As you say they farm aphids and kill ladybirds.

Im not a big fan of them - I have lots of red ant here, I disturb them as much as possible as often as possible in the hope they will move on.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 12:05 »
Bob Floweredew did a little experiment and fed them some jam, they then stopped farming the aphids and ate them instead!
As they have already spread the aphids around, you have nothing to lose by trying to get them to kill them off again!  :D
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2009, 16:24 »
Tried the jam experiment last year putting a blob of jam (home made blackcurrant I might add) on a leaf above a colony of ants on my broad bean plants & it worked amazingly. The ants ate the sugar instead of farming the blackfly & then ate the blackfly. Only trouble is you look a right prat spreading jam on your plants & rain washes it off.

HLS

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 17:11 »
Can you just put blobs of jam on the ground, or do you have to spread it on the leaves?  I had loads of aphids last year (and not a ladybird in sight, sadly), so I'm all in favour of anything that'll convince ants to get the aphids off for me.  I'm tempted to ask whether  there's anything that'll get them to do the weeding, as well...

Greengirl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 16:28 »
I think the idea is to put the jam above any colonies of blackfly that the ants are already farming, so that they presumably think that the blob of jam is a better honeydew producer than the blackfly & they will then destroy the blackfly to protect the jam. Don't think it would work on the ground - it may even encourage more ants I suppose.

Ants are supposed to be intelligent, so maybe you could train 'em to do the weeding!

David.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 21:43 »
Their nests can be a real pain when built inside cold frames or under polythene mulch through which you're growing.

I take a Kelly kettle to the plot and use nothing more than a few twigs and some water to get rid of most of them, then use/mix parts of different mounds to fill hollows around the plot, hoping the compaction will finish the rest off, and that interaction between colonies will finish the job.

iwantanallotment

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 00:23 »
Apologies if obvious - but what do the twigs do, David?

woodburner

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 00:34 »
I'm guessing boil the kettle?  ???

iwantanallotment

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 00:55 »
Never thought of that, woodburner....course!  :lol:
I was thinking he'd poke 'em in the ground for the ants to climb up in mad fury, and then deal 'em a deathly blow  :lol:
Ray Mears I will never be  :blush:
Thanks for explaining.
Incidentally Trebor....my entire patch is riddled with ants, yet I found they didn't affect any crop other than the broad beans, ie encouraging blackfly.  I just pinched off the tips (yummy steamed with butter on!) and dotted jam on leaves, as others have said.
For my other crops(including runners & Borlotti), the ants had no effect and didn't disturb them at all.
Just my own experience.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 01:35 by iwantanallotment »

FCG

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 00:59 »
If you want to get rid of a particularly bad ant nest organically light a fire on top of it and then let it die down on a dry day. Dig it up until you reach a 'moist' level and then repeat. This was quite a nifty trick taught to me.

Trebor

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 12:00 »
OK, thanks for all the suggestions. (As it is year 1 for me then I am going to risk leaving them alone for now. If they cause a problem then I will move onto the jam.)

coo!

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 12:29 »
i thought they were good for the ground? i'ld leave em i think  :)
Face your Fears .............
............Live your Dreams

Never eat yellow snow

xx
ANTS!!

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 21:12
by rawrecruit
xx
ants

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 16:14
by Trillium
xx
ants

Started by Cara on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 29, 2009, 10:21
by Howard
xx
Ants

Started by veg-grower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2006, 22:27
by Beanzie

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 36 queries.