Eggs in incubator....

• 113 Replies

symonep

• Experienced Member
Re: Eggs in incubator....
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 16:41 »
Yes I saw that one and it gave me hope! Day 16 today so hoping by the end of the week it will hatch, I also have another chick I can collect if it does hatch to keep it company
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 20:04 »
Aghhhh, the incubator gave up the ghost completely. No where round here at 7pm at night sells incubators so at a last ditch attempt I have put the egg under the brooder, the egg feels warm still, have nothing to loose I guess. What do I do about humidity? At the moment the egg is in a tray with the brooder over the top. No idea what the temperature is as I don't have a thermometer.

I candled the egg earlier, if there was no movement I wouldn't have gone to all the effort but it was fluttering around so I can't give up on it. Any suggestions?

kegs

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2012, 11:15 »
Just caught up with this thread.  Any news Symonep?  Too late for input I know but I wouldn't worry about the humidity just yet as you've got a couple of days to go.  Can you buy a thermometer from somewhere today and a replacement incubator?

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2012, 15:32 »
Hi kegs, there is no where round here that sells incubators, I have tried most places and a replacement is being sent and will any luck will be here within a day or two. I have the egg under a brooder but it is hard to get the temperature right I have a thermometer so it will make it a little easier now hopefully. It's not an ideal set up but all I have to work with. We brought a heat lamp last night and I know the distance it has to be for the temperature so may give that ago. Things we have to do eh!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2012, 16:31 »
I hope you get a result after all your efforts.  Good luck.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2012, 18:07 »
You know it will hatch and be a he!
Temperature is holding steady at just under 38 deg but the heater is just above the egg so not sure if this is a good thing

ANHBUC

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2012, 19:46 »
My little broody Dotty is like a furnace on top of her eggs so fingers crossed. 

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2012, 20:05 »

This is the current set up! Will put some comfybed bedding in the bottom tomorrow and get rid of the plastic pot it is sitting in ready for hatching.

kegs

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 10:33 »
Ok experts.  Get your thinking caps on.  How is Symonep going to increase the humidity now that it's day 18?

Obviously you can stop turning the egg today and can you get hold of an hygrometer so you can read the humidity?  Then rather than put in bedding I'd put in some sponges that you've soaked in warm water.  Maybe drill a hole high up in the side of the box making the hole just big enough to take a water spray.  Spray in warm water whenever you need to raise the humidity but find something to bung up and seal the hole once you've done this.  Also put the lid on and try to make it air tight in order to keep the temperature and humidity stable.

What do others think?  Any other ideas or suggestions?

ANHBUC

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2012, 10:42 »
That sounds good kegs.  Instead of sponge you could use flannels or hand towel.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2012, 11:37 »
Blu tack to seal the hole

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2012, 12:05 »
Thanks for the ideas, i have put some flannels in there and have made it air tight, lets hope it starts to mist up soon!

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2012, 15:04 »
its like a sauna in there at the moment, hoping this is good as you can feel the moisture in the air. temp is holding steady at just under 38 deg so fingers crossed it is all good still
3 days to go! as soon as it hatched (fingers crossed) i will have to see if i can get in touch with a local seller to see if his eggs have hatched so it has some company!

kegs

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2012, 15:17 »
Try and get the hygrometer if you can (www.ascott.biz do them) as you don't want it too high either.   Is the egg still raised on the plastic pot as obviously if the chick hatches it will fall off the pot before it's had a chance to fluff out?

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2012, 15:20 »
i will try and get a monitor, we have a local reptile place that should sell them.
I have put a thick ish layer of aubiose and the egg is cradled in a well of that.

xx
four day old eggs in incubator

Started by littlefeat on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 11:41
by littlefeat
xx
Eggs for incubator

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 17, 2009, 21:35
by meterman
xx
eggs in incubator

Started by chelle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 05, 2007, 20:55
by chicksforkicks
xx
Eggs for Incubator

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 19, 2015, 10:15
by Prod

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 31 queries.