butternut squash. rotting fruit!!

• 5 Replies

Twood

• Experienced Member
butternut squash. rotting fruit!!
« on: August 06, 2020, 17:55 »
 HI
i'm growing butternut squash again this year. Last year I managed to produce 1 squash and then the frost came and game over.
So this year i'm trying again with a variety which is meant to be early!. Its called Hawk F1 of course. I was delighted to see all 3 plants had loads of flowers around the crown and was expecting great things, images of being swamped in squashes!!!. Sadly that hasn't happened. The flowers have fallen off so i'm guessing like courgettes they are the wrong flowers for fruit??
The other problem is they are producing loads of small squashes which end up rotting on the plant and so I just remove them. Does anyone know why this occurs??
Also am I at the point where I should be stopping them from spreading and encouraging them to produce fruit not greenery??
I have 3 nicely sized fruit at the moment but I was hoping for more than that I must admit. Obviously the weather up here hasn't helped this year either. Sunshine? Whats that look like
Twood
Happy Gardening May your plot be abundant in veg and free from slugs ! :)

jambop

Re: butternut squash. rotting fruit!!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 18:02 »
We have had a great summer so far,very sunny very warm, but I have to say my F1 butternut squash are not that great on the other hand my supermarket saved seed potimarron have done really well??

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 18:26 »
The other problem is they are producing loads of small squashes which end up rotting on the plant and so I just remove them. Does anyone know why this occurs??
This usually happens when the female flower didn't get pollinated, perhaps there were no male flowers at the right time, or there were no pollinating insects around on the day :(
If you see any female flowers and you have male flowers at the same time it maybe worth hand-pollinating the females.
Hand pollination tips here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 18:29 »
Promising looking squash fruits rotting off is almost always due to lack of pollination.
Getting a bit late now to hope nature helps you out - manual pollination might save the day if they are still producing male and female flowers.

Oops - clearly agree with mum (again!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Twood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 21:05 »
ok thanks for the advice I will have to examine more closely and Mum thanks for the link really helpful.
I wasn't aware that I needed to manually pollinate. I wouldn't mind but the plot is buzzing with insects clearly the wrong sort or they have too much choice!
Twood

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 10:06 »
I've often noticed bumble bees seemingly getting 'high' on either the pollen or nectar of winter squash flowers and either unable or unwilling to fly off until they've slept it off.  ::)

Don't know whether they actually eat the pollen, but certainly falling asleep in a drunken stupor isn't going to get the job you want doing done in a hurry!

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Courgette fruit rotting

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 26, 2008, 09:14
by Yorkie
xx
Butternut squash

Started by debbiedoll on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2008, 22:41
by Lemon
xx
Butternut squash

Started by Martyg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 13, 2012, 09:23
by surbie100

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 40 queries.