New Allotment holder - Manure/should I plant

• 1 Replies

MadAboutVeg

New Allotment holder - Manure/should I plant
« on: May 29, 2011, 10:52 »
Hi Peeps!

I am a new allotment holder who has done a bit of veggie growing in pots/planters e.t.c.
I got a phonecall from the local parish council last week offering me an allotment.  This was a suprise because in October I was 19th on the list!!  Anyway, I decided to take it even though it is huge!!

Anyway, part of the site is overgrown but part has been covered in a tarpaulin, so has no weeds. Yesterday my husband and I turned some of this area and tilled it.  Now I have a question;
one of my fellow allotmenteers has some manure which he said I could use.  Should I manure the area prepared yesterday bearing in mind I want to plant brassicas and spuds within the next few days?

Luckily, I sowed some seeds in March as I was going to have a go at a pottager in the back garden; otherwise, it would have cost a fortune at the garden centre!

Thanks
Claire

prakash_mib

Re: New Allotment holder - Manure/should I plant
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 11:55 »
congratulations on new plot. add your location in your profile so other can give you location specific address.  :)

brassicas need fairly firm soil to put a head on. best way is to dig in some manure and walk a bit on it with wellies to firm it and then plant'em.

spuds are bit late for this year but if you want you can try some early varieties (if you can get hold of them in garden center)
on the manure side. It always helps. make sure it is well rotted manure (crumbly and smell free)
have a good dig in  :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

xx
Hello from a new allotment holder!

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 15:22
by inosnofing
xx
New allotment holder

Started by Kingstown_peter on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 14:08
by stompy
xx
First time allotment holder

Started by Stortgrower on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 15:04
by JohnB47
question
Advice for new allotment holder

Started by Juliek1313 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 23:58
by Juliek1313

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 33 queries.