Advice for new allotment holder

• 9 Replies

Juliek1313

Advice for new allotment holder
« on: September 25, 2010, 18:11 »
Hi guys

I've just got my allotment (30ft by 45ft) it was covered in brambles but these have been cleared by the council (bar some roots etc).

The ground appears to be quiet heavy clay and is currently very boggy in parts, I think I need to double dig in some sharp sand and lots of manure to get the soil into a good growing medium.

My question is should I do this to the entire plot - or just the areas I intend to grow on - I'm gonna make raised beds for the veg and herbs - but plant fruit trees/bushes direct into the ground. It seems to be more sensible to do the entire plot now - get it done in case I change my mind about where to grow, but obviously this is a lot more work.

My current plan is 1) to double dig the entire plot with sharp sand and manure.
                           2) Then cover with green manure (rye) and leave to overwinter
                           3) In spring cut down the manure - dig in to one spades deep - leave for a month and then begin to create raised beds and begin planting. 

I know this is a large amount of work and figure I'll cover areas I'm not working on with tarp to suppress weeds until I double dig them.

My thinking is that its better to do all this now before I start planting as it will prevent problems (hopefully) further down the line.

I'd love some advice/comments from people with experience - as all I have ever done is grow herbs on my windowsill.

Many thanks

Total newbie - please be kind

prakash_mib

Re: Advice for new allotment holder
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 18:27 »
Welcome to the forum. And congratulations on new plot.
30X45 is is not a very big plot and you can do the whole plot rather an pre empting space for paths.
I still dont know if sharpsand do any good but wait for advice.
just dig and leave it in clumps. top it with manure and let the worms break the soil over winter and dig in the manure in spring. You can either do fallow crop or cover it with polythene or none (depends on the workload you have now and in spring)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Juliek1313

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 18:33 »
Thanks - it seems really big to me  :tongue2: even though I know its a half plot. Suspect soon
I'll complain its not big enough! 

It does seem to me to make sense to do it all  - but thought I'd check.

prakash_mib

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 18:36 »
It will be big just untill spring and then It will look tiny when you plan to plant your stuffs. I have 25X40 (less than yours).
P.S: put your location on the profile. It gives others a chance to give you location specific advice.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 19:42 »
I think you'd be better deciding where you want to put your paths and your raised beds then you won't be digging where you don't need to, and wasting manure as well.
If you dig the sand into areas that will be your raised beds and then just lay your manure on top, the worms will work some of it in. Then you can put some of the topsoil from the paths on top to raise the beds.
It is not usual to dig in manure and then to sow green manure............it is usually one or the other.
Oh and remember not to manure where you plan to grow root crops as they tend to grow mishapen if you do.

Nige2Plots

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 19:54 »
Do not try and do everything all at once! Little and often I find is best ;) Good luck!!

Totty

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 21:32 »
How deep will your beds be? Personally, if your beds are 6 inches deep or more i wouldnt bother double digging any of it. Just work out were your beds will be and fork over the surface, cover with manure (compost where root crops are to be grown) and fill with soil. Over time the worms and roots will loosen the soil for you. The good thing about raised beds is that you dont need to dig. You provide the initial growing medium, and by adding manure etc nature should do the rest.

zazen999

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 09:50 »
If you are going to have beds; then mark out the paths and put cardboard down on the place where the beds will be to stop the weeds growing back over the winter....and as you dig, cover with card again and put clean soil over the card and then sow the green manure - then you get a barrier inbetween the green manure and the old soil to keep the light completely out. When you dig your green manure in - the card will mostly be rotted down and the soil will be more friable.

I'd also recommend for your first year, in each bed - put a fresh cardboard cover down, clean soil over the top and plant through the cardboard into your clay. You will have years of weed seeds and they will all try and germinate over the next few years as you dig things over - so keeping a cardboard mulch really makes a difference.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 17:13 »
I have used sharp sand in my raised beds as I have heavy soil but, for boggy areas, I would use horticultural grit as well. Instant results. Also, I believe calcified seaweed helps to bind clay particles.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Juliek1313

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010, 23:58 »
Thanks for all the responses - extremely helpful to this newbie.

As is my way I'm gonna use bits from everything to make my own plan - thanks guys I couldn't have done it without you (she hopes).  :D

xx
Raspberry advice for a new allotment holder

Started by XtinaRobinson on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 15:44
by sunshineband
xx
Hello from a new allotment holder!

Started by Dan78 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 05, 2010, 15:22
by inosnofing
xx
New allotment holder

Started by Kingstown_peter on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 14:08
by stompy
xx
First time allotment holder

Started by Stortgrower on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 15:04
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.533 seconds with 37 queries.